Sunday 25 May 2014

Project 52 - Week 21- Embellishing a T-shirt to Hide Bleach Spots

A couple of months ago, I made the mistake of spring cleaning the house, before the arrival of some family visitors, whilst wearing a virtually brand new top and an old favourite skirt.  Such was the whirling dervish that was me that day, I didn't realise until our guests arrived and I stopped cleaning, that I had got several bleach spots on both the top and the skirt.  I was pretty annoyed with myself.

The skirt was unfortunately past redemption, as the spots were spread over various parts of it, so I'm afraid it was with regret and great reluctance that it went in the bin.  The top was virtually new, I'd only worn it once.  It wasn't an expensive one, bought from Primark, but I did like it and wanted to keep it and carry on wearing it.

Not wanting to look too shabby, and buoyed by the fact that there were only a couple of bleach spots, which were in the centre at the front, I hit on the idea of putting an applique over them.  Here's a very bad photograph of the bleach spots.



I don't generally wear embellished or appliqued tops, but in this instance I didn't have much choice.  I searched through my applique templates and found one of a swallow which I hadn't yet used on anything I'd made.  I found a suitable fabric and set about making an applique patch. 



Not content with just adding the applique patch, I also decided to make a little bow from some ribbon I had in my sewing room and added that too. 



Here's the finished result. 



I am pretty happy with it, though I would have preferred to keep the top plain.  At least this way I can still wear it and it now looks a little more individual.

Joining in with Dreamer at Living a Slow and Simple Life in carrying out a must do task a week for a year.

3 comments:

  1. It looks great! Nice save.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit I was sceptical but it looks good, nice fabric choice for the swallow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, not really my ideal type of top, I much prefer things plain, but I'm wearing it today for the first time post makeover so at least it's still getting some use.

      Delete