Tuesday 6 May 2014

Minding My Spending in May

After my little splurge at the charity shop last week, I have decided that this month I'm going to overhaul my current spending patterns and try to keep spending on non-essentials to an absolute minimum.  Lately, having paid off my credit cards, putting little back on them, and being in the midst of the gradual process of paying off my overdraft, I do seem to have a bit more spare cash each month.  Instead of putting this spare cash to good use, by getting my overdraft down quicker or putting it in a savings account, I have been spending it each month on treats and other non-essential extras.  Now, whilst I think we all need to treat ourselves from time to time, I think I could be doing something more useful with it, so just for this month I am making a concerted effort to pay more off my overdraft and speed up the process of paying it off.

At the beginning of the year it stood at approx. £1200 and I set myself the goal of paying off £100 per month over the year.   I have been paying it back gradually in this way over the last few months and now it is hovering somewhere around the £800 mark.  As it is starting to reduce, I can feel myself becoming slightly impatient and wanting it to reduce quicker, so, this month I am aiming to get as much paid off it as I possibly can.  Even if I just manage to pay an extra £50 off, it will be worth it to see it reducing quicker and I will be almost half way there. It is, however, OH's birthday this month, which will incur some expense on my part, so I'm keeping my expectations within reason.  I'll let you know how I get on at the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment