Thursday 8 May 2014

A Visit to Old Spitalfields Vintage/Antique Market

Today, I was badly in need of a change of scenery, and was going stir crazy at home, which is where I seem to have spent most of my time in the last few weeks.  As a consequence, I decided to venture farther afield than usual.  Originally, I was planning to spend a day in Central London, Oxford Street to be precise. 

At the weekend I had read in the newspaper that John Lewis had commissioned a special roof garden to be built on the roof of their Oxford Street store to celebrate their 150th Anniversary.  It sounded an interesting prospect, so I decided I would head into town and pay it a visit.  However, the day itself was pitiful and rainy and sat on the bus I had visions of getting there and it being closed to the public for Health and Safety reasons because of the rain

As the garden is open all summer I decided to save that outing for another day and instead got off the bus early at Liverpool Street Station in the City and drop into a lovely Antiques/Vintage market that is held there every Thursday.  I'd not visited for probably a couple of years and I just felt like a mooch around under cover of the market and see if I could hunt out any bargains.

It wasn't too busy.  There were lots of stalls, easily over 50, all with lots of lovely things for sale.  As I'm minding my spending this May I didn't indulge very much, just buying a couple of pairs of vintage knitting needles to add to my collection and a vintage brooch.



I so enjoyed browsing and checking out the very varied items on sale.  There was vintage clothing and jewellery, vintage cookware, bric-a-brac, taxidermy, books, postcards, furniture, ceramics - you name it and you could probably find it.

There was also lovely food available.  I indulged in a lovely warm lamb wrap for my lunch which was a bargain at £3.  If you're ever in or near the City of London, there are different markets here on virtually every day of the week and it is well worth a visit as it is just a stone's throw from Liverpool Street Station.

Here's a link to the website of the market to give you a feel of what's on offer.  Http://oldspitalfieldsmarket.com

5 comments:

  1. I remember using needles similar to those when I was little.

    I'm very excited to see what there is to peep at on our wanders, we're going to London at the weekend and I haven't been since 2001.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a great time while you're here. Greenwich has a nice market to wander around on a weekend with nice food stalls. I think you're going there aren't you. I haven't been for a few years, but we've enjoyed it in the past.

      Delete
    2. Ooooh, thanks. I'll get to it if I can. We only have a couple of hours from arriving to the party so that may be taken up with grabbing some food but if I can browse at the same time I will do.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great place to while away a couple of hours x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh what a lovely brooch and the knitting needles are great too.

    ReplyDelete