Sunday 11 May 2014

Project 52 - Week 19 - Re-Covering the Roof of Our Small Shed

We have a small shed in our garden, one of two sheds we own, and we use it to store logs, kindling and coal for our open fire and wood burner.  We've had it a good 12 -15 years and brought it from our first house when we sold it.  Like many people, we like to look after our belongings and get as much use out of them as possible and we are loathe to get rid of things if they can still serve a purpose.  Lately, this shed been looking a bit worse for wear though.  Here's a picture.

 
Ivy was growing through the slats and it needed a few repairs.  The main problem was the roofing felt which as you can see from the following photos needed replacing.
 
 
 
Last Bank Holiday Monday, whilst we were working in the garden and OH was putting up new fence panels to cover the trellis that divides our garden from the neighbours', I decided to get on and repair it.  I got some new felt from the garden centre.  It cost approximately £20 for a roll of 10m of the value brand roofing felt, which we then used to replace it.  I say we, because I can't honestly say it was all my work.  It was a team effort, so I hope this is allowed under the rules of the challenge. 
 
I stripped the old felt off and took out as many of the old nails and tacks as I could, brushed the whole shed down, as it was covered in sawdust and cobwebs and then OH  applied the felt to the roof and did a few simple repairs to the shed.  He actually applied two layers of felt for extra strength.  It felt great to repair it and it should keep going for a few more years now.  I was very happy with the result.  In fact it almost looked like a new shed.  Well, not quite.
 
Here's an after photograph. 
 
 
 
 After finishing the shed there was plenty left on the roll of roofing felt, so I asked OH if he would use some to cover my potting bench.  It was looking very worse for wear too.  I prepped it ready for him to do the deed.  It probably isn't the ideal thing to use, but will hopefully help preserve it for a little longer and there's even enough left over to re-cover the roof of our other shed when it is needed.  Here's a before and after of the potting bench.
 
Before
 
 
 
After
 
 
 A couple of very useful tasks completed (with help) in Dreamer's 52 Projects challenge to complete a task a week for a year. 

7 comments:

  1. good job done. Our shed is in terrible condition & held up by clematis & Jasmine !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least they make it look pretty. It would be a shame to remove them. Sometimes things look better just left.

      Delete
  2. Another good job! I love your potting table, if any of my gardening is a success this year I think I'll be adding one to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I must admit it never stays as uncluttered. I don't actually use it to pot things, it tends to be more of a place to put pots of plants that I'm not quite sure what to do with. I do aspire to using it properly sometime.

      Delete
  3. Job well done. We got ours done last year .. by the landlord!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two good jobs completed, well done handy hubby :) Like your idea of using it on the potting bench !

    ReplyDelete
  5. the graphs come with finishing instructions, to boot. Ask your local shop to get these in for you, or you can order them on an automatic program from me every month, either as a kit or as a graph.decorative fencing

    ReplyDelete