Wednesday 14 May 2014

A Market Visit

On Tuesday this week, I headed off to a local market to buy some Velcro for a project I was working on (more in a later post).  Whilst at the haberdashery stall,  (a great little stall that I always visit if I need odd bits and pieces) as well as buying the Velcro I needed, I couldn't resist buying a few zips for cushion making - I think I got 5 for £1.40 and some universal needles for my sewing machine to use with both leather and jersey.  Each pack was just £1, with three leather point needles in one, perfect to use on a piece of leather I bought in a CS a few weeks ago, and 5 ball point needles in the other for working on knit fabrics.  Great value.

(Bad photo, sorry!)

I wandered up and down the market, bought some fruit and vegetables from one of the many stalls and then came across this dress on a second hand stall for just £3.  It's a Betty Jackson dress,


made for Debenhams, which was my size and in good condition.  It was a bit of a steal and proved a irresistable.  It's very autumnal in flavour and the print reminds me of vintage dress fabric from the 1950's.


It had belt loops, but no belt, so I added this lovely wide soft leather belt I often wear with another Betty Jackson dress I found in a charity shop.  The lining of the dress is a bit damaged, but I might just remove it.  I loved the zip detail near the shoulders. 


I can see myself wearing this with a long sleeved black t-shirt underneath and possibly with black leggings/tights and boots in the autumn.  I don't wear dresses that often, but sometimes when you want to dress up a little they are great.

As I'm on a Mind My Spending in May challenge I was a bit naughty as I also bought a couple of metres of this lovely navy and white jersey fabric which I'm hoping to use for a top and a snood.



At £4 in total it was quite inexpensive, but naughty none-the-less.  I ran the snood up in a matter of minutes when I got home and am pleased with it. 


The top may take a bit longer to get around to.

Fortunately for me, my favourite book seller wasn't at the market on this occasion or the damage could have been much worse.

4 comments:

  1. What a fabulous dress ! I love the snood too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Penny. I'm looking forward to wearing both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress is fab! Love the bargains.

    ReplyDelete