Tuesday 13 May 2014

Another Sunday Afternoon in the Garden

This Sunday afternoon was another one spent in the garden and the greenhouse.  It was a bit blustery, but I was itching to get a couple of jobs done.  Job one was to put a few plants in one of the beds in front of our new fence.  Here's what it looked liked before, as demonstrated in my post about our garden makeover.

 
We'd got the gardeners to remove a peach tree from this spot as it was getting too large for it's position  close to the house and it also succumbed to peach leaf curl every year which was very unsightly.  It was time for it to go I'm afraid.  There were a few roots left in the soil after the gardeners left so OH offered to dig them out for me which he duly did.  Once removed I could start to plant it up a bit.
 
The first plant I put in was this small olive tree. 
 
 
 
I'd bought it for OH one birthday and it was currently in a pot on the decking.  By getting it into the soil it would be able to establish and hopefully grow a bit bigger.  It would also free up the pot to sow some carrot seeds into after my last lot got eaten by snails.  In turn this cleared out another planter and meant less clutter on the decking.
 
Alongside the olive tree in the pot were a few nasturtiums that had self seeded from last year.  Not wanting to throw them out I put them back in the bed around the olive tree as they will add a bit of colour when they flower later in the summer. 
 
 
I also put this bush in.  It had been moved from in front of the trampoline where the fence was built and needed a new home.  It had just started growing back after being cut right down for the first time.  It too will provide a bit of colour from it's stems and leaves.
 
 
 
One last little plant I put in was this little geranium that I had hanging around on the potting bench.  It was so pretty that I put it I a little corner pot of it's own.  I'm not sure if it's a wild variety or a cultivated one but it is very delicate so deserved a special place all to itself.
 
This border is still an on-going project and may be subject to more additions or changes, but for now  at least it had a bit of interest going on.   Once I'd put in the plants I had already, I decided to do some seed sowing into the other border on the other side of the gate. I sowed lots of wildflower and insect attracting flower seeds to give the border some colour in the summer months.  We'll see what happens there as I don't normally sow seeds direct into the borders like this but it was a quick, inexpensive and hopefully colourful temporary solution, until I consider what I want to put there permanently.
 
As for seed sowing in the greenhouse, all I had to show for my last attempt was a couple of small tomato seedlings and one other seedling which I'm unsure of what it actually is, as the name washed off the label.  It will be a nice surprise if it survives the snails.
 
As it was now a bit later in the growing season, I sowed some courgettes, cucumbers, some flowers, and a later variety of tomatoes.  Fingers crossed I have better luck this time or it will be a trip to the garden centre to buy some vegetable plants for the allotment when my potatoes have been dug up.

No comments:

Post a Comment