Anyway, Thursday afternoon was a lovely bright sunny afternoon, perfect for the allotment and a welcome break in the rainy weather. The ground was still pretty wet, so it probably wasn't the best time to go, but I just wanted to get started and get some seeds and onion sets into the ground.
As I walked up to the site, I noticed a great big pile of lovely rich compost that had recently been delivered by the council.
I made a mental note to put some on my plot, but unfortunately didn't get the time on this occasion. I might have to return this weekend, before it all disappears. As I approached the gate to the site, there was a fox on the path. He saw me and ran off down the path , but as I got to my plot I managed to get a quick (but not very good) photo of him, before he disappeared out of the site.
The plot looked like this when I arrived.
Not too bad. A few dead plants left over from the end of the last growing season and a few weeds, but nothing too serious. I started with a bit of weeding and then decided to dig over the whole (or virtually all) of the plot. The soil was a bit wet so stuck to the fork a lot, but I managed to work my way around the plot. The only bits I didn't get to were the strawberry patch and the herb patch, which I'll have to do another day. It looked a lot better for it though. I was pleased with my hard work and it feels so good to get it done.
A couple of hours digging, tidying the plot and securing the raised bed sides which were all flattened by the weather, then I sowed some onion sets, broad bean seeds and some early salad seeds before coming home. Here's a couple of pictures of what it looked like afterwards.
A definite improvement and I managed to come home with a few turnips too, which will help to make a nice stew or casserole next week.
I'm looking forward to the new growing season.
Joining in with Mum from Mum's Simply Living blog posting in the Alphabet Backwards challenge.