Sunday 10 November 2013

Quilt Number 2 Reveal and a Sewing Room Sort Out

It's been quite a quiet week here this week.  I've been staying home most days avoiding going out and spending any money as part of No Nonsense November, where I'm trying to spend as little on unnecessary stuff as possible.
 
As a consequence, I've spent quite a bit of time in my sewing room making a quilt for Little Bird.  I've managed to finish it this week and I am really pleased with it.  I know from the experience of having another quilt I made on my bed for the past few weeks, that it is going to keep her nice and roasty this winter and that makes me feel very happy with it, aside from the aesthetics of it.
 
Here's a picture of the finished quilt.  I think it is quite pretty.

 
This quilt has mostly been made from new fabrics, although not particularly expensive ones.  Save for the heart-like print which was recycled from an old duvet cover I bought for a couple of pounds from a vintage shop around the corner.  The backing fabric is a lovely quilting cotton from my stash, that I bought on eBay a few years ago, and has now finally found a use.  It's covered in little purple asters and is quite sweet.
 
 
 
It is actually going to be an extra little Christmas present, but if it gets really cold I may give it to her before Christmas to use, how can I not.
 
As I've been spending quite a bit of time in my sewing room, I noticed how cluttered it seems to have got in recent months.  There were various piles of fabrics and unfinished projects all around the room, where I'd left them instead of putting them away properly or just getting on with them, causing it to become quite messy and making working in there more difficult. 
 
In between working on the quilt, I've been slowly having a good sort out up there this week.  I can't say I've got rid of much clutter, but I have tidied lots of drawers of fabric, put away a few new fabrics I acquired over the summer and made the decision not to proceed with some projects which no longer appealed.  I have also been having a flick through my many sewing books and have found some new project ideas that I might attempt in the next few months.
 
It felt good to get things back in some semblance of order and find some new inspiration.  My next project is going to be the Christmas quilted table runner.  I've made a start but there's still quite a bit of work to do on it.  I'll post when I've finished it.

5 comments:

  1. I do like the look of your quilt - not the usual run of the mill blocks but parallel crossway strips. it has a nice puffy look to it and I'm sure your little one will love cuddling down underneath it.
    Tidy ups have that effect don't they - do I want it, does the idea still appeal to me, what can I do instead??
    Look forward to seeing the runner when you've finished it
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks. Yes, the quilt is more like the old eiderdowns you used to get really, but I quite like that about it. It is very snuggly as I made a similar one not long ago and have been using it myself since. I made it like this for simplicity and speed really, but am quite happy with the results although it might not really cut the mustard in proper quilting circles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the horizontal lines of your quilt & it is very pretty. I love the pattern combos & pretty lining.
    We've decided to sort & boot fair soon... very soon... well, sometime soon !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, good luck. I love a good boot sale, especially when you're doing it. Making money and getting rid of clutter at the same time. Unfortunately, there are few places to do one here in London.
      Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

      Delete
    2. I imagine it will be in the Spring - too wet at the moment !
      When we moved to Spain we furnished the house from boot fairs ( very ex-pat ) & flea markets ( very Spanish )
      When we left... we sold a lot at the boot fair !

      Delete