Friday 15 November 2013

No Nonsense November - The Half Way Mark

Well, I'm half way through No Nonsense November where I'm trying to minimise non-essential spending to help me pay off my credit cards by the end of the year, and thus far it's not going too badly.  (I hope I haven't tempted fate here).

To be honest, I wasn't exactly thrilled at the idea of a third month of minimising spending, but needs must sometimes and it is essential if I really do want to pay off my credit cards in full in what is left of this year.  The thought of not being able to treat myself to anything was a bit depressing.  In reality, however, although last week was a bit slow and there wasn't much happening (hence all the posts about quilting and other projects), I've managed to get to the half way mark relatively unscathed.  In fact, I'm probably having my best non-spending month yet.

I did treat myself to a nail varnish to match my lipstick which at £1.99 from Lidl was a very inexpensive treat.  I also made a couple of purchases of storage items for the house which were on my to do list, plus I did buy a few books from the charity shop, but other than this I've hardly spent anything. 

Oh, I tell a lie.  I did treat myself to a pair of Joules wellies online which at £25 were a good price as they normally retail at more like £40.  They are great for walking the dog in the very wet weather we've been having, as I found that most of my boots seemed to allow my feet to get soaked through, when walking in the grass in the park and on the marshes.  Almost all other spending has been on food and other essential household and beauty products, Christmas presents and paying off debts.

I had a pleasant surprise last night when doing some banking online.  I realised that I had £100 more in my account than I thought, as I had made an error in calculating my balance, so that was a real bonus and means I can pay more off one of my credit cards at the end of the month than I thought I'd be able to.  Hopefully I will be able to keep this up for he rest of the month and be in a much better position next month.  Fingers crossed.

2 comments:

  1. A good mistake- it's like finding a ten pound note in your pocket !

    ReplyDelete