Sunday 2 February 2014

Project 52 - Week 5 - Filling a Couple of Empty Photo Frames.

Joining in with Dreamer at Living a Slow and Simple Life I am attempting to complete one task per week for a year i.e. 52 projects to clear up all those tasks/projects that I need/want to do but just never get around to.

This week I've done the very small task of filling a couple of empty photo frames that I had lurking in the sewing room.  One I bought for £1 in Bargain Corner at IKEA and the other was reduced to 20p at B&Q, so I could resist neither.

In the IKEA one, I've put this greeting card which has an animal with an uncanny likeness to one of our much loved, sadly deceased pets on it.  She was a much loved part of the family, along with her sibling, for a few years, but was unfortunately very shabbily treated by a vet at the end of her life, which was very sad indeed.  She brought us much happiness and love though, as she was a wonderfully affectionate little creature who would sit on OH's chest and lick his stubbly chin of an evening. 
This card normally sits on my kitchen window sill next to this pair of salt and pepper pot pigs we were bought a couple of Christmases ago and which represent the two guinea pigs we had, which were our first family pets.  The markings and colourings of the pot pigs aren't quite the same, but I genuinely appreciate the gesture.  I look at this picture every day when I'm washing up and think of our lovely little pigs.  I decided to put the card in a frame as they deserve to be remembered, and the card kept getting splashed when I watered my plants.  Besides it fitted so perfectly it was almost made for it.




I miss our little piggy friends.  I could happily have a whole guinea pig village if I didn't like going away on holiday quite so much.  Maybe one day.

Talking of holidays, the second frame in this task was filled with a hand stitched route map of our US road trip in a camper van last summer, using embroidery thread.  We drove through parts of Nevada and California and had one of our most amazing holidays yet.  Although it was already unforgettable time does dim the memory so I decided to make this as a momento to keep it fresh in our minds. I added the US Flag patch which I found in a charity shop here for 50p or something similar.  I really like it and may even make another one relating to our trip to Australia 5 years ago to visit my sister and some other relatives.




 It's a wonderfully simple idea from a fabulous book called Home Made Simple - Practical Makes for Living and Giving by Joanna Gosling, which I was given as a gift for Christmas and this project was the second I've completed from this book, but there are a good few more I am certainly going to try.  It may even feature again in 52 projects further down the line.

So Week 5 in 52 Projects and I'm keeping up so far.  Just.  This was a simple task as we were away this weekend so time was a bit limited.
,

5 comments:

  1. That is a job well done! Love the furry pic. It is the little jobs that can take us the longest to get around to - I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not surprised you want to keep that lovely guinea pig card safe - so cute and a sweet reminder! The stitched map is a great idea - now I need to go on a road trip worthy of the idea...
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to have some very personal keepsakes and make use of your bargain frames at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas here - personal memories kept precious.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete