A couple of weeks ago, in my last post of this kind, I noted how my charity shop shopping had really slowed off of late, that is, until the very next day, when I went to drop off some bags at another local charity shop. I had a quick look in the corner where the fabrics usually are, (I can never resist) and I saw something that I've been hoping to find for ages. I'm afraid that as a consequence, I just had to buy it.
I have been wanting to make a beanbag for Little Bird's bedroom for a while now, out of an old homemade bedroom curtain. The fabric has been sat in my sewing 'to do' pile for months, waiting for me to sew it into a large cushion cover, which I was then going to fill. I'd been waiting until I had enough money to buy some filling, which can cost anything from £15 upwards, to get a sufficient amount. So when I saw a beanbag in the charity shop as I did the drop, I just had to buy it, as it solved my filling problem for less than half the cost, as it was marked up at only £6. I'm not posting a picture, as the beanbag itself isn't much to look at, but it won't be seen anyway. I'll do a separate post and reveal when I've actually made the bean bag cover.
Whilst I was at the till, I noticed a basket of vintage sewing patterns, so, of course I had to have a look. I ended up coming away with two of those too. Here they are:
This one I bought for the French knickers/pants. Little Bird loves to sleep in shorts in the summer, so I thought I might try to make her some. I'll have to scale down the sizing for the pants as the pattern is a bit large for her, but I'm sure this can be done. The slips are pretty too though and I may even make one for me at some point.
The second pattern was for these A-line skirts made up of three panels front and back and a side zip. I have a wool DKNY skirt, bought from a charity shop, that is made in a similar design and it is quite flattering especially when worn with boots, so I'm thinking of making one of these for myself at some point. I'll probably make it a slightly longer length than in the pattern though.
Both patterns cost 50p each. The skirt pattern was uncut and I was pleased to note, that although the slip and pants pattern was cut, all the pieces appeared to be present, more especially for the pants.
So a pretty lucky visit to the charity shop, possibly the Great Cosmic Supply Company was at work for me on this occasion, (Dreamer, if you're reading this, I remember this from your brilliant post and link - it's saved on my favourites bar), although I did come back with 'stuff' that takes up more space than the things I actually took there!