Monday 3 February 2014

February Food Challenge

Spurred on by a wish to de-clutter our kitchen as much as possible, and by the fact that we have quite a bit of food in our cupboards that just isn't getting eaten, I have decided to set myself a Food Challenge this February.  The main purpose of this challenge is to try to empty our food cupboards of said food that is not being eaten.  Whilst I realise that I am very lucky to even have food in my cupboards as many people don't, I must point out that some of this food has been around for a while and some is definitely already out of date, so needs using up or throwing out.  I am a person who hates to waste anything and I want to try to use up as much as possible.  I'm not particularly bothered by best before dates on dry goods or preserves, so I am happy to use these even though the date may have passed.   I did a stock take last week, which went as follows:

Herby Dumpling Mix 5 x 180g packs
Ainsley Harriott Indian and Curried Lentil and Chickpea Pan Soup x 3 packs - I have tried this a s a soup, but I think I'd prefer to use this as the basis for a casserole by adding some chunky vegetables and cooking in the oven or slow cooker, possibly with lamb, and serve with couscous.
Ainsley Harriot Lemon, Mint and Parsley Couscous x 1 pack - I will have to eat this myself as it is not one of OH or Little Bird's favourites.  They like plain couscous.
Plain Couscous 1 x  340g pack
Ainsley Harriot Pecorino Cheese and Garlic Croutons 2 x 95g packs.  These might be nice thrown on top of or in the odd casserole here and there.
Popping Corn 2 x 500g packs - A great healthy snack for lunch boxes when I get around to making it.
Chicken OXO Cubes 7 x 6 cube packs and 2 x 4 cube Knorr Chicken Stock cube packs - (I don't think I'll need to buy these for quite a while!)
Spaghetti Bolognese Sauce Mix x 2 packs
Fajita Seasoning Mix x 2 packs
Chicken Tikka Masala Seasoning Mix x 3 packs
2 Peshwari Naans x 1 pack
Lasagne Sheets x 1 pack
Hellman's Light Mayonnaise x 2 Jars
Dijon Mustard x 1 bottle
Branstons Brown Sauce with Bite x 1 bottle
Cream Crackers x 1 pack
Melba Toasts x 1 pack
Quince Jam x 3 Jars
Homemade Rhubarb Jam x 3 Jars
Quince Paste x 1 pack
Packets of Polos x 7
Packets of Sugar Free Mints x 4
Grated Parmesan Cheese x 2 50g pots
Bottled water 350ml x 6
Oat So Simple Mixed Flavour Porridge sachets x 1 box of 9
Frozen Mixed Berries x 1 Pack
12 Stuffing Balls Frozen
4 Garlic and Coriander Mini Naans x 1 pack Frozen
1 Pork Chop Frozen
Carrot and Coriander Soup Frozen
Crispy Duck Frozen
Linda McCartney Vegetarian Sausages x 1 pack Frozen
1 Frozen Turkey - Don't Ask -  I originally bought this for Xmas Day and then we decided to buy a fresh one.
4 Frozen Breaded Cod Fillets
Braising Steak Frozen
Strong White Bread Flour 1kg
Wholemeal Flour 1kg
Yeast Sachets x 4
Raspberry Jelly x 7 sachets.
Trifle Sponges
Instant Semolina x 1 Box
Crème Brulee x 2 packs
Weightwatchers Cookie Mix x 1 pack
Scone Mix x 1 pack

Quite a bit of food there to keep us going for a while I think.  This list only refers to full unopened packets that are not our normal weekly essentials or that are in the freezer and need using up.  Some of this food was bought as a result of stupidly overbuying at Christmas, as we had visitors for the first time and I wasn't sure quite how much we would need.  Some is a result of seeing bargains and squirrelling them away.  I think that a month of using up these items would be a very good idea as it will save waste and I think it will seriously help me to save some money this month as I could almost manage by just buying fresh fruit and vegetables, milk and bread for a fair part of the month.  I am adjusting my menu plan for the month with this list in mind and will be devising my shopping list each week using both and I'll see how I get on.  Any extra money that I manage to save will come off the overdraft.

I do realise that this challenge may seem more like luxury and not a challenge to some, who are struggling to put any food into their cupboards.  I apologise in advance if this post offends anyone who might be struggling to make ends meet or feed their families.  It is never my intention to offend anyone.

In addition to the food we have in the cupboards, I also have several money off coupons for some of the big supermarkets that came through the door last week. I will use the vouchers if I think they are saving us money, but if I find it cheaper to shop at Lidl, where I usually shop, I will not hesitate to do so, as I am very happy with the products I usually buy from there.

I will be happy to see at least one cupboard emptied as soon as possible, as I will be able to use it for storing items for the dog which are currently cluttering up our worktop.  Please note, that I don't throw food away easily, unless it has gone off and can't be used for either ourselves or the dog, so I have no intention of just dumping the food or wasting it. I am intending to use it all as soon as I can.  Anything I don't use and do happen to throw away I will give my reasons for and as far as I am concerned they will need to be pretty good ones although you may disagree with me on what they are.

Although I am calling this a February Food Challenge it may take longer than just one month to use up all this food.  So be it.  I will be posting periodically about this challenge, to let you know how I get on with using up said foods.  I am looking forward to seeing the list reduce as quickly as possible.

4 comments:

  1. Don't apologise for what you have. You're talking about your own life, not making any comment about how other folk should live and you have nothing to prove. The "frugaller than thou" types will choose to be offended if they want to feel that way regardless of what you write.

    We're currently in a position where we are able to spend quite a bit and save quite a bit, it's like that because of what we went through before, not despite it. Should I be expected to continue surviving on plain rice and cups of tea just because that's how I had to get by once? I remember that time, I do what I do because I don't want to repeat it, it doesn't mean I should prepare for the worst to the extent I spend on nothing other than essentials now.

    Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing how you use all your surplus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this. I really appreciate your comments. It is reassuring to know that there are positive people out there in blog land who are happy to let people live and let live without making harsh judgements and assumptions about others.

      Delete
  2. I have a small budget for food shopping but I do have an extensive food store for emergencies. A little of this stored food is needing to be used and rotated just now so I will be on a mission to make inroads into some of my dried goods the next few months.I don't really care about best before dates on dried goods as they will keep 20 years or so if stored correctly, some of the items I am using up have dates of 2009 and are perfectly fine so far. I just like to rotate these dried goods periodically, so I will use some up and then replace them with long dated new stocks.
    Have fun using up your stores x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to having that space in the cupboard and hoping it will motivate me. I'm reassured by your views on best before dates for dried goods.

      Delete