Sunday 9 February 2014

52 Projects - Making a Pinboard for the Sewing Room - Week 6

For quite a while now I've been wanting to make some sort of pin board to attach all those little bits and pieces to and give me inspiration when I'm in the sewing room trying to get crafty.  A couple of months ago now I bought this largish piece of chipboard from B&Q which cost about £6 I think (can't quite remember)


with the intention of covering it with wadding and fabric, but after a search on Pinterest the other night, I decided to approach the project in a slightly different way.

As previously mentioned, I was going to make a fabric covered, ribbon pin board where items are tucked behind lengths of ribbon criss-crossing the board, but when I saw some alternative ideas pinned I decided to just paint the chip board to match the feature wall, as we still had some paint left, and nail  clips and a string of pegs across the board instead, to hold all those pictures, postcards, photos I want to display.  The nature of the chip board, being so hard and difficult to pin into with drawing pins, meant I needed clips suspended on nails which would allow me to change or add to the display without having to constantly get the hammer out and make lots more holes in the board.  Any other spaces that need filling I intend to use washi tape to tape things to the board, hoping of course, that it doesn't peel the paint off.

Anyway, whilst out at our local mall the other day, I bought a couple of large bulldog clips and several smaller bulldog clips from WH Smith.  They weren't very expensive and cost me about £4 in total and once the paint had dried on the chipboard I nailed them on as securely as I could.  I then raided OH's tool/nail cupboard and found some small screw-in eyes to tie a string across the board, from which I could suspend things, using some tiny wooden pegs I'd bought very inexpensively a year or so ago.   I also decorated the pin board with some white lace I had in my supplies, staple gunning it on for an added bit of decoration.

Once I'd finished, I added lots of bits and pieces to it.  Most are reminders to me to do things, such as go to more exhibitions (i.e. tickets/booklets from great exhibitions I've been to in the past), buttons I'd like to use,




stamps I'd like to do something with, leather/fabric I'd like to make something from, kits or patterns I'd like to use. 



I also threw in a few little drawings done by Little Bird when she was small.  She's always an inspiration. 



I really like the finished effect.  Here's a picture of the full board.



Joining in with Dreamer at Living a Slow and Simple Life in her 52 Projects challenge where the aim is to complete a task a week that you've been meaning to do for an age.  This task wasn't on my original list posted at the beginning of the challenge, but is one I have subsequently remembered I wanted to do and added to the list. 

6 comments:

  1. That looks great, what a good way of doing it with the bulldog clips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed a bit easier than wrestling with fabric/wadding/ribbon and staple gun!

      Delete
  2. I really like your idea, the lace is effective too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the little clips and the bulldog clips - very effective for managing lots of inspirational bits and pieces!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great way to display bits and bobs. I like the idea of attaching things different ways.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a good idea! Love the little washing line and pegs.

    ReplyDelete