Tuesday 11 February 2014

A Walk to the Allotment

It's getting to that time of year when I need to start thinking about doing some work at the allotment for the coming growing season.  I can't quite get on with it yet as with all the rain the ground is just too wet, but I was curious to see what state my plot was in so I decided to take the dog on an extra long walk on Friday morning and check it out.

My allotment is a good few miles away along the canal.  I don't normally take the dog on such a long walk, but I fancied a change from our normal dog walking routine and wanted to kill two birds with one stone so to speak.  In the end we had a lovely walk, my knee doesn't quite seem to think so, might I add, but I'm sure it will recover.

I didn't go onto the plot, as I'm not sure that dogs are allowed on there.  Instead I went right up to the fence, as my plot is in the corner of the site, and took a look and some photos through the fence.  The raised beds were looking a little worse for wear, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.  There were even some things that had overwintered well and that I could pick and use, namely some kale, some rainbow chard and some spinach. 



The garlic cloves I planted back in the autumn were also growing well too.




I've got my onion sets, early lettuce, broad bean seeds and potato tubers bought and ready to go in.  I've just got to wait until the ground dries out and warms up a little, so I don't cause more harm than good.  I'm looking forward to a dryer spell of weather now, if we ever get it that is!

4 comments:

  1. I managed a little tidy up in the garden but so wet ( enough ! )

    Not able to post anything for a week now & vv frustrating !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just read your post. Glad your back to posting. I've missed your cheery posts.

      Delete
  2. Bet the dog enjoyed a nice long walk!
    Nice to see a few things still growing on your allotment x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a great deal going on, but hopefully I'll get on there soon enough and do some work.

      Delete