Thursday 17 October 2013

Quilt Number 1 - Finally Finished

I have finally finished my first attempt at quilting and I am quite pleased with the results.  Since attending the Knitting and Stitching Show last week, I've been itching to get my hands on it again and finish it off.  As we were away at the weekend I've had to wait until this week and have been doing a bit every day, finally finishing it yesterday evening.  It is perhaps more like an old fashioned eiderdown than many quilts you see because of it's very simple design and thick wadding.  I quite like that though.  It makes it nice and snuggly.  The corners aren't the best, but they were the best I could do.  I slept with it on my half of the bed last night and it was lovely and roasty.  Pity it wasn't a double.

 
 


It was very simple to make for a first quilt which was important so that it didn't put me off.  Far from it.  I seem to have got a bit of a bug for it and have already sorted out some fabric ready to make another similar one for Little Bird in colours to match her bedroom. It's going to be a surprise and I'm going to try to finish it for Christmas or at the latest her birthday in January.  Here are the fabrics I'm using for Little Bird's quilt.  Most are new and unused but the odd one is recycled from a sheet or duvet cover.  The floral one is going to be the backing and the rest the front.  I'm not sure what I'm using to bind it yet.


I'm also now planning on making a padded table runner for use on the dinner table on Christmas Day, but don't worry, I'm not going to use such thick wadding for this project.  These are the fabrics I'm planning to use for this.



I'm hoping I will have time to do all of these things and finish my hand sewn lap quilt that I have already started.  I'm going to have my work cut out, but now that the weather is not so good,  I am quite happy to spend the odd rainy afternoon working on such projects as I did today, work allowing.

I'll keep you posted as I finish each project.

 

1 comment:

  1. You've caught the bug and why not ? your first quilt is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete