For months now, my sewing mojo seems to have got lost in the ether and I've had absolutely no interest in finding it. After reading quite a few blog posts this week, however, where other bloggers have been busy making clothes, I kind of got to thinking about how I'd done very little dressmaking in particular, since I made a skirt back in September, for the One Pattern, One Week challenge.
Being in the mood to declutter, and knowing that I have a room filled with fabric that needs using up, I finally ventured into my sewing room on Friday afternoon and took a look at my patterns, with a view to finding a particular pattern I knew I had for a kimono.
I found said pattern, which had come free with my Prima magazine subscription and seeing how simple it was, I decided to have a go at it and took a good look through my fabric to see if I had anything suitable to make it with.
The only really suitable fabric I could find that I had enough of, was this vintage varuna wool type fabric, which I think I picked up in a charity shop several years ago. I like the print and it is really soft and drapes so beautifully. I was originally thinking I might make a dress with it.
The thing is, I very rarely wear dresses these days, but the thought of making a kimono with it really appealed somehow. I know it's not the usual kimono fabric, as it is quite a bit heavier than kimonos I've seen in the shops, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway, as it might be useful to have one to wear on cool days or evenings. The fact that it has so many colours in it, means that it will go with lots of different things.
Anyway, I went ahead and cut out the pattern and then the fabric pieces and started to sew it all together. It wasn't too difficult, but I think I cut it out incorrectly, as when it came to matching the front and back pieces, it took a while to get it right. It did come right in the end though.
I just had the sleeves left to hem, when I unexpectedly had to go out, so I finished it off on Saturday afternoon. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out and it was good to make something other than a skirt for a change. Here's a picture of the finished garment.
I've taken a few other patterns out, along with more fabric, in the hope that it might inspire me to make a couple more things. I've found a couple of cocoon dresses/tops that I'd like to have a go at, using some jersey-like fabric and also a different pattern for a skirt that looks very easy to make. It will be great to inject my summer wardrobe with a couple interesting prints and add a couple of new pieces, whilst using up some fabric and without the necessity to spend any money.
I may also make a kimono or two for Little Bird, as she really likes them and has been asking me to buy her one for a while now. I just need to shop my stash and find some fabric that she likes. I'll keep you posted on progress.