Sunday 10 May 2015

A Give and Take Saturday

Saturday morning, Little Bird and I set about gathering together all the items we were going to take to our local Give and Take event.  There were 3 or 4 boxes of things I'd already put aside, plus two bags filled with soft toys and clothes.

Little Bird, knowing I was taking all these things to donate, decided to trawl through her bedroom again and sort out a few more things to take. Before long, another box was filled with books and games and a bunch of nail varnishes that she no longer wanted were added to the pile.

We loaded up the car.  The complete back seat was filled with things, both floor and  seats, and we headed off to the event.  By the time we got there it was 12.30.  Giving starts from 11am and then you can both Give and Take from 12 noon. The school hall was filled with people sifting through the tables full of items.  With a bit of help from one of the volunteers we managed to empty the car in a couple of trips (the car park was quite a way away from the hall where the event was taking place).

Once we'd safely taken in our donations, we loitered for a little while and took a look ourselves to see if there was anything we wanted to take home with us.

Little Bird took two things, one was actually something of mine, that I'd donated and not bothered to ask her if she wanted.  I didn't mind her keeping it if she was going to make use of it.



I was pretty restrained and just took home these 3 books, one by an author, several of whose books I've read over the years, one that I've wanted to read for a while now and have been tempted to buy in the past and another a book by Fern Britton, which I was curious to read.  I also picked up a wooden towel holder, which I will paint and use for washi tape or ribbon reel storage.



It felt great to take all the things I'd gathered and donate them.  The house (and I) heaved a massive sigh of relief at not having to accommodate so much stuff anymore. It was also a relief to take it somewhere where they didn't already seem overwhelmed with stuff.

In the process, I had what I hope will be a useful conversation with Little Bird about our shopping habits (I'm a great one to talk about this I realise but I don't want her to acquire my bad habits). It would be great to think that from now on we can all of us be a lot more mindful of what we bring into the house and whether we really genuinely need it.

It was a good morning and good to take Little Bird to this type of event and for her to be so willing to part with so many things that she no longer wants or uses.  I'm very proud that she is learning early to let go of things when they no longer have a use and to pass them onto someone else who can make use of them.

I do have a bit of a confession to make though.  One item that we intended to take didn't actually make it all the way to the event.



This lovely guy.  So cute and cuddly, I didn't have the heart to send him packing, so he came home with us for a while longer. Decluttering is not always an easy task.

No comments:

Post a Comment