Monday 5 January 2015

Creating a Capsule Wardrobe - Part 1

One of my aims both in 2014 and for 2015, has been/is to create a capsule wardrobe, one that contains only clothes that I truly enjoy wearing.  No more throwing something on in the morning that will do, but instead wearing clothes that make me feel and look as good as I can every day, even when the only place I'm going is the gym.

Over the past few years, I've noticed that many of the things in my wardrobe have become faded and tired or have gone unworn from one season to the next.  I have been reluctant to part with these items, just in case I might still wear them, but as time has passed and they've remained unworn, I've realised that many of them are really no longer worth keeping, so I've been gradually giving them away to the charity shop over the last six months.  It has been good to let go of these items, as it has substantially reduced the amount of clothes I own and in turn has allowed me to see exactly what I have in my wardrobe that I do like and wear regularly.

This has been really important in the process of creating a capsule wardrobe, as it has enabled me to see the gaps that need filling.  As a consequence of this, I was able to sit down and compile a list of things I wanted to own, to create the kind of wardrobe I could be happy with.  The list looked something like this:

smart winter coat that I enjoy wearing*
smart black ankle boots #
smart black shoes to wear with a skirt
small handbag to match most outfits (for those days when I want to travel light)
white/striped*/print shirt
new pair of tan brogues #
knee boots (black or brown)
smart gloves*
medium/light weight jacket or blazer
print skirt
plain black pencil skirt*
other skirts x 2*
plain black trousers*
flattering jeans
print dress
navy suede shoes*
skinny leather belt
short sleeved t-shirts x 3*
long sleeved t-shirts x 3
charcoal top*
charcoal sweater
wellington boots

* items already purchased
# items received as a gift

As you can see from the above list, many of the items I needed for my capsule wardrobe have already been bought or gifted to me.  Most were bought quite inexpensively whilst on sale from a favourite website LaRedoute, a French mail order company, but some others have been bought elsewhere at low or reduced prices.

There are still quite a few items that I need to source. Several are slightly more expensive items, where I want to buy reasonably good quality that will last, such as shoes, boots, bag, jacket or jeans. Others, however, are potentially much less expensive, i.e. t-shirts, shirts, sweater and a belt and I will be looking out for all of these items over the course of the coming year, as and when I have the funds available.

The most expensive items acquired so far have been my winter coat, new tan brogues and biker boots.











The latter two were bought for me as gifts from OH and the former I bought myself, but I am very happy with all of them and have been wearing them quite a lot so far this winter.  I'm trying not to wear the coat too much, and certainly not for the gym, as I'm trying to keep it for best and for days or evenings out.






Of the remainder of the items already bought thus far, the most expensive item has been this pair of navy suede Fitflop shoes bought for £25.  I've wanted to try a pair for a while now and have only ever seen them on sale for £50-70 or more, so I was really pleased to get them for this price.  I've not actually worn them yet and will probably do so more in the spring and summer, but they are very comfortable and co-ordinate well with quite a few of my spring/summer clothes.

All of the remaining items already bought have cost quite a bit less than these items and I will post some more photos of some of the less expensive items in my next capsule wardrobe post. (Many of them are currently in the laundry having been worn over the festive period).

2 comments:

  1. I really need to sort my wardrobe out !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you love the coat, why would you want to keep if for best? (genuine question).

    It's not that long that a winter coat can be worn each year so it's nice to use a lovely item bought for the purpose as much as possible, for me anyway.

    ReplyDelete