Tuesday 13 January 2015

Bedroom Blitz Revisited

About 18 months ago, I posted about how I was trying to declutter our bedroom, which had become a dumping ground for all kinds of things after we had our basement excavated into an office for OH a couple of years ago. There were piles of 'stuff' everywhere as you can see from the photo.



Although our bedroom is in nothing near the state it used to be in, it is still probably one of the worst rooms in the house for clutter and desperately needs a good overhaul. Here are some more recent pictures of it's hot spots.


The space next to my side of the bed is always a clutter hotspot and at the moment, desperately needs a good sort out.


OH's side of the bed is a little better, but there is still room for improvement, despite the fact that the shelves are looking a lot tidier.


My  beauty station (such as it is) also looks a little cluttered, but at least the pile of things in the other photo were either relocated or donated many months ago. 

The whole room is a lot more bearable as it stands presently, but not quite as clutter free as I would like it to be. My wardrobe challenge has partly been aimed at decluttering this room and making it more manageable, but there are still other areas where more can and needs to be done.

We are hoping to get some work done in there this year, namely single glazed windows replaced, ceiling and other damage repaired on account of the builders doing some extra work in the loft, and the floor evened out as it currently has a slope on it, which isn't ideal. We will sadly lose our lovely wooden floorboards as a result of the latter work, but will gain a nice cosy carpet, which should make it warmer, feel lovely underfoot and not gather quite as much dust as the wooden floors seem to do.

In readiness for this work whenever it does happen, I am going to be giving the room a thorough going over in the next couple of months and disposing of or donating anything I no longer wish to keep. Everything under the bed, in wardrobes, on top of wardrobes, in drawers, and on shelves will be gone through with a fine tooth comb.

It is long overdue I'm afraid, as I must admit that our room probably gets least attention in terms of cleaning than any other room in the house, mainly because when we have visitors every other room gets a thorough deep clean, but I never seem to have the time before their arrival to clean our room as well, so it generally gets left until I can stand it no longer and this is where I'm at with it at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, it is not unhygienically unclean, as I do periodically hoover and dust, but I haven't done so for a while and it is just very dusty on floors and surfaces and needs everything pulling out so that I can clean behind it. This will be done this year, as everything will have to come out for the floor to be corrected.

In the next few weeks I'm intending to get started with going through everything in there. It's quite a big challenge as there are things I've probably not gone through for quite a long time, many of which may have sentimental value to me, so I'm not expecting it to be an easy task. I'm just going to do my best and do what I can to clear as much as I can.

I'll post some results in a later blog post.




9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who never has time to clean her own bedroom before guests appear!

    I will also take this opportunity to say how much I enjoy your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for dropping by and posting your lovely comments.

      Yes, I'm afraid it's a case of shutting the door to hide the mess and hoping that no guest ventures in there.

      Delete
  2. This might help - avail. on kindle as well! Comes highly recommended by the ladies of Mumsnet. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Life-Changing-Magic-Tidying-effective/dp/0091955106

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds intrigueing, I'll have to take a look.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I'd just done our bedroom, emptied and de-cluttered wardrobes and drawers, pulled wardrobes out to clean behind and washed paintwork. It needed doing!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You lucky thing, your's is all done. I hope you are enjoying the fruits of your labour and finding it a lovely restful place to retire to of an evening.

      Delete
  4. While my bedroom is clean.....Don't ask to see the sewing/craft room right now. Or the area beside my chair in the front room!!!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you all the way - following my big room make over from last year! Photos are a great incentive. My next target is the washing machine cupboard and the porch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing your results should you post about them. It's always inspiring to see other people's makeover and decluttering reveals.

      Delete