Wednesday 29 April 2020

Weekly Project Update

I have to say that last week really went by in a flash, which was an improvement on the week before, which seemed longer somehow.  Does anyone else feel like time is speeding up as we progress through lockdown.  It's probably consciousness that it's going to end at some point and I'll be going back to work. I think it helped that I was working on a new project or two.  I do feel like I was a lot more productive, sorting out both my wardrobe and also getting started on decluttering the sewing room.

It was Tuesday really, before I got back in there, as the Monday was spent doing a small local shop, sorting laundry and getting up to date with the ironing. I did a bit of work in there most days and made good progress. I have now sorted through every piece of fabric I own and made decisions about whether to keep or donate it.

I have organised the remaining fabric very systematically too, so I know exactly where to find different types and makes. I have colour co-ordinated all my quilting fabric to make it easier to see what colour quilts to make. It was originally organised like this, but I then messed it up pulling things out and not putting them back in the right place, so it's good to get them organised again.

I also washed down the shelves on both sides of the alcoves ready to put things back onto them. I now just need to paint the two small sets of drawers that I'm going to use, before I can complete the sewing tool side of the room.

The bed is still a complete mess, mainly because it has lots of tinned food, toiletries and bulk bought cleaning products, etc. on it, that I bought before lockdown. I'm working my way through them, but it will be a while before we use them all up. There's also lots of old quilts and pillows on the bed and I need to decide what I'm going to do with them. I may make eiderdowns out of one or more of the single quilts, like the one I just finished.  This shouldn't take as long though, as the shorter width of the quilt makes it much easier to hand quilt, if this is even necessary.

These type of quilts always come in useful for snuggling up on the sofa in the winter and I need a warmer single quilt for the times I end up sleeping on the sofa. I get insomnia quite a bit and usually go downstairs to sleep, to avoid waking OH. The living room sofa is super comfortable and I usually drop off to sleep on it within minutes, but the quilts currently on there don't quite keep me warm enough in the winter. Single quilts are also good because they can be washed at home in the machine and I have an empty blanket box in the living room that I can store them all in when not in use. Besides, they help to use up the ridiculous amount of fabric I own and I get to enjoy seeing it in use, instead of it being stuck in a drawer.

I emptied the aforementioned blanket box in the living room last week too. It only contained a few knitting yarns and a couple of small projects I'd started, but not finished.  As a consequence, I finished off one of the projects, namely this knitted clothes hanger padded cover.




I just needed to sew it onto the hanger and finish off the loose ends.  It was a good project for using us very small end balls of wool. It's quite cute and colourful. I also decluttered the yarn too, and found that after re-organising the fabric drawers in the sewing room, I now had a spare drawer in which to house any yarn I wanted to keep.

I also spent time last week working on a final unfinished quilt project, mainly whilst watching TV, so now it is ready to attach to the woollen blanket I am using as wadding and then to the backing fabric which I've cut from an old quilt cover, so progress was made here too. I'm determined not to start any new craft projects until this one is finished.

Obviously, due to the above activities, the piles of items to donate is growing and this still has to be housed in the sewing room until local charity shops re-open. I doubt there'll be another Give and Take for a long time, so some of it may be there for a good while, but I can't help that.  Ideally, it would be great to free up the bed at some point, so that I could sleep on it on the nights I have difficulty getting to sleep, but I've managed thus far without it, so I can manage a bit longer.  Luckily, no one's been to stay for a while and they aren't likely to for the foreseeable, so it's not imperative that it gets cleared immediately.

I'm enjoying getting the room into some sort of order though, it is well overdue and makes the room feel much less overwhelming. I'll post a picture or another video when the room has progressed to a point that you'll see a difference.


1 comment:

  1. A lot of my decluttering has been old papers in the office / craft room so I have a box full to shred but it doesn't take up too much room. I have been spending more time in the garden recently, planning daughter's party and making cards. The new kitchen is on hold so we cannot do anything in that room and I don't want to do the living room until the kitchen is done. It could be a long wait!

    ReplyDelete