Friday 10 April 2020

A Sleepless Night and an Online Order

Last Wednesday, I had a really good day, managed to get into a bit of a routine and felt productive for probably the first time since the lockdown started. It therefore came as a surprise to me, when I just couldn't sleep that night and started feeling very anxious, about food amongst other things.

I don't think it helped that I'd attempted to go to the supermarket the day before, but two large supermarkets had had ridiculously long queues outside of them, snaking around their car parks, so I'd turned the car around and come home and I went to local small shops instead to get what we needed, or most of what we needed.

Whilst tossing and turning and thinking about all of this, the idea to check out Approved Food's website popped into my head. So, I got up and headed downstairs.  I logged onto their website and proceeded to put an order together. To be honest, it didn't really reassure me all that much, because I was surprised to see there was much less food on sale on the site than there usually is, obviously because lots of people have been buying it. I also looked around on other sites I've used before to buy food and they had very little in stock too.

Anyway, I got an order together, mainly for snacks, chocolate, dog treats, passata, sugar, biscuits, wholemeal wraps, tomato ketchup, cereal, baked beans and some whiskey for OH. I qualified for free delivery, so paid and was mildly reassured that some food would be finding it's way to us in the next few days.

I went back to bed and went to sleep.  A couple of days later I got an email to say that it could take up to 8 days for the order to arrive.  Fair enough, I figured, in the circumstances, so a supermarket shop would be necessary afterall. 

I did that shop this week on Tuesday and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. It felt better to know that we had everything we needed again for a good few weeks, save for staples like milk, bread, fruit and salad which we will continue to need to replenish regularly locally.

Yesterday, my Approved Food order arrived, which was now a bonus.  Here's a picture:


It's very snack heavy, but then those are the things we tend to eat up quickly, and everything else are things we use regularly, so that's a good thing. The Shredded Wheat minis where a master stroke as I'll be using those for my Easter nests topped with mini eggs bought on a recent shop.

It's going to be a strange Easter this year, but we'll celebrate it in our own small ways.

5 comments:

  1. It is a strange Easter, but apart we are all staying safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a lovely Easter weekend in spite of the restrictions.

      Delete
  2. Nothing is normal any more, but normal will return but I think some things will not be normal again. We are having a camp fire in our back yard tonight as we are normally away in our caravan camping with family and friends at Easter. Stay well and Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A camp fire sounds like a great idea. I'm just going to have a big clean up and make some crispy buns. We might have a barbecue if we have any charcoal, but if not we can cook everything in the oven. Have a lovely Easter Weekend.

      Delete
  3. I looked at Approved foods too and saw it was very low. I've been reading about the locust plagues in Africa too which is going to make food growing and food production difficult- something more to pray about!
    I hope we can still get things. x

    ReplyDelete