Thursday 9 April 2020

Tweaking the Daily Routine

I posted the other week about getting into a new routine now we're on lockdown. Not everyone likes routine, but I do. It doesn't have to be rigid, but I like to have certain things to do to structure my day.

As days turn into weeks on lockdown, I've been gradually tweaking my routine, bit by bit.

Here's the current routine;

Wake up and read in bed for an hour.
Get up, washed and dressed and then do some arm exercises with weights.
Have breakfast and check out what's new online.
Take the dog for a walk and try to do Joe Wick's PE lesson for the day.  I only do the upright exercises, as I'm on the move with the dog and sometimes the grass is wet.
Lunch and a bit of blog reading/writing.
Do any washing that needs doing and hang it out.
Two hours of work on unfinished sewing projects.
Watch Jamie Oliver and get inspired to cook something for supper.
Wash up whilst cooking supper.
One or two hours of TV before bed.

Some days, I don't manage to stick to the routine. Other things get added in or missed out depending on what I feel compelled to do, i.e. ironing, cleaning, gardening, online dance classes, etc.

On Tuesday this week, for example, I got up early and decided to go and do a proper full on supermarket shop, while OH took the dog out.  That meant that I didn't do Joe's lesson that day, as it's always busier in the parks on an afternoon dog walk, so I don't bother.

Yesterday, I didn't do the dog walk in the morning again either, as OH took the dog and walked her whilst on an errand to pick up some medication for her from the vet's. Once again, I didn't get to do Joe's lesson, as I prefer doing it in the open air and it's just not the same doing it in the house. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

Besides, I had a pyjama day (the first to date) and got lost down a Pinterest rabbit hole for most of the day. I decided to do some work on organising my pin boards and delete any pins that were no longer relevant or interesting to me. One board had 1200+ pins on it.  I managed to halve that, but my computer was so slow, that by the end of the day I'd had enough and gave up for the time being.

In between, I did manage to do some weights and floor exercises, do my daily sewing time, and most other things on the list, just in a completely different order. (Save for the dog walk - OH did a double dog walk. He'd taken the day off work and had been gardening and chilling.)

Today, I'm looking forward to getting back to my 'normal' routine, as not having done much exercise for a couple of days has left me feeling a bit lethargic. I don't like going out to the park in the afternoons when it's really busy, as people don't always keep their distance when they pass you and it unnerves me.  Mornings are much better, as there's fewer people out and about.

It was the same story when I went to the supermarket this week. I deliberately went to a very large store, with wider aisles and a one way system of moving through the store. I wore a mask and gloves, cleaned the trolley handle on my way in, tried to keep two meters away and basically did everything I could to be safe, but still people came really close to me at times. The store wasn't even really that busy, as I went early, but there you go. It does sometimes make me wonder if people have any idea how serious the situation really is.

Anyway, it was a relief to do a food shop and know that I don't need to go back again for at least a couple of weeks. I fear I'm becoming a little agrophobic with all this staying in, but maybe that's just how it's going to be for the duration.

Are you getting into new routines, or do you like every day to be different?


5 comments:

  1. We have a skeleton routine and fit different projects into it. If it is fine we garden if not there are plenty of inside jobs. DH is scanning photos to make a photo book of my daughters' life so far up to her 40th birthday in two weeks time. I have been making cards and doing a bit of baking. The shopping I find is the most stressful bit of all this. Stay safe and keep well. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that shopping is the most stressful thing. Everytime we go out we come back having found it difficult. We can control how we behave, but we have no control over the way other people behave and quite a few people do not behave in a responsible manner. It is quite scary.

      Delete
  2. Not really a new routine, but one that I have done for many years. I am a list maker and love to see things stroked off as they are completed.

    Mornings and late afternoons are best for walks around here. I have also taken to walking down back alleys where no one seems to travel.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like to take routes that I know are lesser used. I am getting used to crossing the road when the footpath is too narrow to pass people coming in the opposite direction and then crossing back again.

      Delete
  3. I agree about people not taking it seriously. I went to the Londis at the end of our road to get a few bits (as no one in there usually) and I went to grab some Haribo sweets and accidentally pulled the hook off the wall. At that moment a man came in. He started trying to advise me how to put it back up and when I was not getting it, he came right over to me and pointed- about 10 cm from me! He was being helpful but I wanted to say PLEASE GET AWAY FROM ME!!

    ReplyDelete