Thursday 2 April 2020

A Good Day

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm finding that my emotions are a bit up and down during this lockdown.  Some days I feel good and feel like I was productive and made good use of the time at home, some days I feel less so and feel a bit frustrated. Wednesday, however, was a good day.

I did a super long dog walk.  I think I was out for about 2 hours all told, but it was enjoyable. On the route, I started playing Joe Wicks's PE class for the day on my phone and found myself joining in with some of the exercises, which felt like progress. The dog wasn't so happy.  I don't think she liked it that I was focussing on something other than her.  It was sweet in that Joe got kids to devise the routines for him as homework and today's I thought was very good. I would happily re-do it at home. (Well, most of it, there were some exercises I didn't like, such as burpees and I did feel a touch silly doing bunny hops!)

I think part of the problem I'm having at the moment, (aside from deeply missing my gym and dance classes), is that the dog walk seems to be doubling up as my exercise for the day and it's not really very energetic or satisfying in this respect which I find frustrating. I'd like to go out a second time on my bike and have a good old bike ride, but I'm not sure that is acceptable under current restrictions. Maybe I'll just have to continue doing as I've done today and do the odd exercise class or floor exercises at home. I guess I'm lucky I have a dog to walk at times like this, as it does make you go out and get some fresh air once every day. My boss at work would love to be able to walk a dog now we're on furlough.

In the afternoon I decided to put on a new to me boxed vinyl set and listen to some swing music.  Whilst doing so, I picked up some patchwork projects that I haven't touched for months, which felt good. Hopefully, now I've restarted them, it shouldn't be too difficult to maintain the momentum and actually finish them during this lockdown. At least it would feel like I've done something productive. I'll post when I have completed them.

Tonight, I made us a tasty vegetable stew with vegetable suet dumplings. It was an easy way to use some vegetables from the fridge, including some wilting celery. It was better than the one I made last week, the difference being that I used a casserole mix to flavour it. In actual fact, it was a Chicken Chasseur mix that I had in the cupboard.  I was going to donate it to the food bank, on account of us not eating meat anymore, along with a few other mixes for meat dishes, but looking on the back of the packets, I spotted that they were actually suitable for vegetarians/vegans.  Who knew.  Hence, I decided to keep them and use them instead. In my defence, I don't think the food banks are actually taking food at the moment here.  I think they prefer monetary donations, because of the risks associated with the virus.

We've been watching a new limited series on Netflix for the past few nights, called Unorthodox, about an Orthodox Hassidic Jewish community in New York.  It's really good. It's interesting to us, as there is a large community not far from where we live, near where we had our last allotment. It's interesting to learn a bit more about their culture. We watched the final episode and an additional programme about the making of the series last night, which was almost as good as the series itself.  We're now looking for something else to watch.

We recently watched and loved This Country, a comedy series that was on UK TV. We were sad when it finished the other week, as it was such a tonic in these strange times.  I think we're going to go back and watch the earlier series on iPlayer, as we didn't watch them first time around. It's so funny and so English. Have you found any good series to watch on lockdown? Let me know.


3 comments:

  1. I think that most of us find our emotions going up and down during this crazy time. Being an introvert the aloneness never really bothers me. What does is not having our sons close enough to see as often as we would like.

    I am going to look for that series on Netflix. Sounds very interesting.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been having good days and not so good days but mostly I am managing to keep busy and do some cleaning out and cooking some new to me meals too. I hope you continue to have good days. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there - just popped over for a catch up to discover you have a huge amount of posts I have missed so I will need to set aside some time to come back for a good read! Glad to hear you are all doing well (most of the time)- life hasn't exactly changed a lot for us at the moment except for the comings and goings up to North Yorkshire and Scotland so the good side of that is no packing and unpacking. We seem quite busy still otherwise mainly with the garden and trying to find a way to give my daughter who is 40 this month some kind of celebration party when we cannot actually all get together - bit of a challenge - not everyone is online and some people cannot even buy her a card. Stay safe and well x

    ReplyDelete