Sunday 12 April 2020

Easter Clean Up

Usually at Easter, if I'm not working, we would be travelling to see family up in Yorkshire. As there was no chance of that this year, I decided to dig in and do some cleaning in the house. I did a deep clean a month or so ago, when I had some annual leave just before the lockdown, and then did another clean maybe a couple of weeks ago, but after watching a TV programme this week called How Clean is Your House during Lockdown? I figured that I'd better get cleaning again and make it a more regular occurrence.

The programme focussed on areas of high traffic and touching, where particles of the virus could be harboured and suggested that you should clean these areas at least daily and possibly several times a day. I have to admit that I haven't been so conscientious in the last couple of weeks, mainly because we have hardly been out anywhere, save to walk the dog and the occasional shopping trip, but that is no excuse, as any time you leave the house you can bring the virus in with you.

Anyway on Saturday morning, I got up determined to tackle the house.  This time I focused on all of those areas that the programme had suggested should be tackled. I figured that if I gave everything a good initial clean, then I could start a daily wipe down every night before bed, of the main things that need keeping clean i.e. light and other switches, door handles, toilets, sinks and taps, etc.

Thinking about this methodical sort of daily cleaning routine reminded me of the Flylady System that I tried to follow a few years ago in 2017. I'm afraid that as soon as I got a paid job, the system fell by the wayside, but Lockdown is a perfect opportunity to re-boot the system in some respects, for the duration.

I started at the top of the house in the bathroom, our bedroom and the sewing room, which I haven't really cleaned for a while as it doesn't get much use in an average week. As I'm currently spending more time in there, I did a bit more of a clean, although it was difficult to deep clean in there as it is currently very cluttered. I did make sure to clean all switches, even on my sewing machine, which I've been using lately.

Fortunately, LB had spent two whole days this week re-organising and cleaning her bedroom, so that was one room I didn't have to tackle, so I skipped past and down the stairs into the hallway. I made sure to clean the banisters and then the door furniture both inside and out, plus the thermostat and light switches.

I took a break for lunch and then resumed in the Living Room/Dining Room, paying particular attention to the TV, light switches, remote controls, door handles, basically anything we touch a lot that is either plastic or a hard surface. I vacuumed and mopped as I went too.

Finally, was the job of cleaning the downstairs vestibule, toilet and kitchen.  In the kitchen, I paid particular attention to cupboard door handles, the oven, dishwasher and fridge handles, light switches again and worktops.

In toilets and bathrooms, I made sure to clean bottles containing cleaning products and toiletries, the flush buttons of the toilets, the handle of the toilet brush, light cords and door handles. All things that get touched very regularly, and which going forward I intend to clean on a daily or every other day basis.

I even cleaned the vacuum cleaner after I'd finished, so that it would be clean for the next person to use it and I threw my trainers in the washing machine.  I have decided that they are the only shoes I'm going to wear during lockdown, mainly because they are so versatile. I can exercise in them on dog walks, go out shopping in them and then throw them in the washing machine when I come in.

It may seem excessive, but it seems to me that with time on my hands at home, I have no excuse not to be vigilant for the virus. The least I can do is to try to keep it at bay.

When I stopped for lunch, I got out my old Flylady Control Journal and devised a new evening routine to take account of the essential daily cleaning tasks that I consider necessary during the pandemic. It was interesting to see some of the motivational quotes I'd copied and clipped into the file.  They were so appropriate. Although I have no control over what is going on outside of my house, I do have some control over what happens inside it from now on.

In any case, it felt good to get the house in order, now I can enjoy the rest of the Easter weekend .
Do you have a Lockdown cleaning routine?

4 comments:

  1. Your post has reminded me to do the doorknobs! I didn't see the program but it does sound quite horrific - I have done a Spring clean of most of the house but then have abandoned it to go in the garden. I have also washed my outdoor coats in case any of the virus has been brought in on them. Then I wonder if I am being too over the top but then I think better safe than sorry. Stay safe and well x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems a very good idea to make sure all these areas and high touch items are clean. I should work on my bathrooms a bit more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for mentioning the tv programme, I hadn't heard about it, it was so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never cleaned so much since lockdown. Instead of putting things off I am glad to do it for something to do. A positive in these strange times.

    ReplyDelete