Saturday 11 April 2020

Growing Things

After posting a picture of some seedlings emerging the other day, I've been shocked how quickly lots of things that OH sewed last week have suddenly sprung into life. As a consequence, I thought I'd do a little post about what we're currently growing.

OH keeps most of his seedlings on the windowsill in the kitchen and then puts them out in the mini greenhouse during days when it's warm, returning them to the windowsill at night. Almost all
of them have now germinated and they are doing pretty well.

There's kale, two types of kohl rabi, courgettes, cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes and French dwarf and climbing beans.  Here are some pictures from a couple of days ago:



More lettuce has been sown into the raised bed in the garden. This is just starting to germinate, but only just. It's not actually visible in a photograph so I didn't take one.

The allotment currently looks like this:



OH has planted the potato tubers and some shallots, the latter of which are just showing some green shoots. He's also got asparagus growing, but as he only planted it last year, we can't really harvest much of it this season. Other than that there is a gooseberry plant, a blackcurrant and some strawberries.



The rhubarb is doing well, as usual.  I'm going to cut this from time to time and leave it outside the gate for anyone passing to take. I'll wear gloves when I do so. You can see the dog having a drink, as we'd called in after a long walk.



The raspberry canes are also doing well. They look like they are going to provide lots of lovely fruit later in the year. I've noticed at least a dozen new canes growing out of the ground this year compared to last.

On the allotment What's App group chat, everyone has agreed to have a pumpkin and dahlia growing competition this year. I've decided to enter the dahlia competition, as I have some dahlias that normally grow on my plot, so long as they grow back this year. It's something to aim for.

At least with the growing season upon us, there's plenty to do to keep us busy. I even managed to buy some sunflower seeds at the supermarket this week. No vegetable seeds available, just flowers. I guess because of our exceptional circumstances, everyone is probably trying to grow some food themselves this year. The sunflower seeds came home with me, as OH likes to grow them, plus they provide good amounts of food for the birds and other creatures.

That's about all to report for now.  What are you growing this year?

2 comments:

  1. I have courgettes, tomatoes, and am trying potatoes this year. Will also be sowing some salad items again. I would dearly love an allotment like yours - I have to make do with a few small tubs! We have loads of room for veg in Scotland but loads of rabbits too so we don't grow veg up there - maybe one day if we ever get to live at the cottage full time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, so many wonderful plants. Your beans are doing really well! I only started planting mine a few days ago. They've not done anything yet!
    I'm germinating peppers, beans and tomatoes in my utility room- 7 out of 10 of my tomatoes have popped up (tiny!) but the peppers are in their bag for 2 weeks so I hope something is happening!
    In the garden, I've planted rocket seeds, swiss chard and radishes -none of which have started coming up yet. I bought pea plants from the garden centre before lockdown. They are in my new raised bed but refusing to wrap themselves round the canes I've put in!

    ReplyDelete