Tuesday 16 April 2013

Reclaiming Space

As mentioned in previous posts, I have spent the last couple of weeks gradually clearing our dining room, which had become a depository for all kinds of clutter since we had our basement converted into an office last year.  Once cleared, I was able to make it into a reasonable spare bedroom for some visitors at the weekend. (See The Great Spring Clean - Part 2 post)   Once our visitors had left, however, and with no pending large party visits on the horizon, my other half wasted no time in restoring it to it's former use as an extension of our living space.  We call it our dining room, but it has never been used as such and is more of a second reception room.

With the bed removed, dividing doors opened up and the sofa and other bits of furniture repositioned, we now have a lovely dual aspect living space once again, which brings much more light into our living room and is especially welcome after such a long winter.  The transformation has breathed a breath of fresh air into the house and it feels great.  We can once again reach the record player and put some vinyl on the turntable from time to time.  We can sit in the back room and listen to music or read quietly.  Normal life has finally resumed and we truly do appreciate it.  Here's what it looks like now from the living room through, a wonderful de-cluttered space.

2 comments:

  1. That makes a wonderful opened up room - love the pine doors. I must phone the builder to get a quote on much needed repairs & breathe new life into our house too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I hope you had a great trip to NY. Thanks, it makes such a difference. I keep coming in and thinking I'm in a different house. It has made me want to throw more clutter out from other areas but I'm trying to stop myself from going too mad.

      Delete