Friday 12 April 2013

A Day Out at the Seaside

We've had a bit of a staycation this Easter Holiday (apart from visiting family for the Easter weekend).  I thought that we might find it a little boring, as we usually manage to get away for at least a few days somewhere.  Not this year though, so a couple of days ago we decided to take ourselves off for an afternoon at the seaside, to make us feel like we'd had a bit of a holiday.

Getting out of London, as I've mentioned in previous posts, is always relaxing, even if just for an afternoon.  The day was a lovely sunny one, although it was cloudier on the coast and still pretty cold.  We headed off after lunch  to one of our favourite places, Whitstable in Kent.  It is only 50 or so minutes from East London so is very easy to get to.  It has a lovely pebbly beach, lots of lovely shops to mooch around, and is a beautifully picturesque seaside town.

We took the puppy for her first visit there and were hoping that she'd like it.  I think she did.  She especially like the fish supper in Herne Bay, the walk along the beach at Seasalter and  a stroll along the front in Whitstable, sniffing other dogs and crunching shells and crab claws. 

I took a few photos:

the beach at Seasalter and a huge bumble bee on the grass path as we made our way back to the car;



the fishermen's huts you can stay in on Whitstable seafront and the view therefrom;


the beautifully colourful beach huts as you drive towards Herne Bay and a view towards the bay itself and the clocktower.



We had a lovely afternoon out, but really appreciated coming back to our lovely home, lighting the fire  and settling in for the evening.  Even though we haven't been away much this Easter Holidays, we've had a lovely relaxing time in our own home, getting up when we want to and doing whatever we want to, with no prescribed routine.  It has been quite blissful and has cost us very little.  In addition, I have more or less finished the remaining decluttering left from the building work, which makes me feel much more organised than has been the case for years now.   We have almost got our home back to normal.  There is still plenty of things to do, but I feel so much more ready to face the new school term.   Maybe we should do this more often.

2 comments:

  1. We spend a day in Whitstable a couple of years ago, such a lovely town and a place I'd definitely like to revisit. It's nice to go away on holiday but I agree it's great having time at home during to catch up with jobs around the house, do what you want when you want and just slow down the pace a little. I'm back to work on Monday so am making the most of my last few days off-must do some housework today! And clean the car tomorrow! But the weather's looking good for Sunday so I'll be up early to go to car boot sales....can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Gill, I'm doing housework too. I've got to clean the house for visitors arriving later tonight. It's a nice end to the holidays and next week, house clean and my daughter back at school, I'll be able to get on with other things that I've neglected for a couple of weeks. Have a great weekend. Hope the weather is as good as predicted on Sunday, it will be fab if it is!

    ReplyDelete