Sunday 6 January 2013

Twelfth Night

I know that lots of people like to take down their Christmas decorations as soon as Boxing day is over (my partner would love to) but I'm afraid that I am a bit of a traditionalist and like to take them down on 12th night.  So today is the day.   I used to take down the decorations and then go out to a 12th night celebration at a local museum called the Geffrye Museum in East London.  There you are given a glass of wine, a piece of 12th night cake and come together to sing carols for the last time this festive season.  It makes a nice finale to the festive season. 

I haven't been to this event for the past few years and didn't make it again this year but if you like that sort of thing or you think you would enjoy a look around this Museum of Domestic Interiors then look them up on the internet the next time you are planning a trip to London.  It's free and is a great place to visit, especially at Christmas.  It is largely made up of a series of rooms each of which is decorated in the style of a different period and it has several other seperate exhibitions on throughout the year.  I often go there enfamille in the lead up to Christmas for an evening of carol singing, craft workshops and to see the period festive decorations adorning each room.  It also has a nice restaurant overlooking a beautiful garden, the latter opening from April to October.  For anyone with children it does great workshops for children in the school holidays which are well run and free.  It's one of my favourite places in London.

Anyway, I digress. So the decorations need to come down and as I am sat here I am putting off the inevitable.  I did want to share with you a couple of my favourite decorations before they get put away for another year but I can't seem to get any photos to upload so maybe next year, assuming I've figured out how to do it by then!

No comments:

Post a Comment