Wednesday, 13 July 2016

Shed Clearing - Part 2

After posting last night about my efforts to finally clear out the garden shed this weekend, thinking about it got me inspired to do a bit more work on Monday night.

As a reminder, this is what the shed looked like after I'd finished on Saturday.  Still very cluttered, but better than before.

I got started by pulling everything in the front out once more, sorted through it, untangled the hosepipes, making them neat and tidy and removed a few things for donation. I then pulled out everything from under the table at the back and after sweeping the cobwebs off the shed walls and brushing the floor, I stored all of the summer/winter sport and camping equipment neatly under the table.

Now, most of the non-gardening 'stuff' is tucked under there out of the way, save for the fire wood basket, fireguard and coal scuttle, which will come out of the shed come the autumn, when we start lighting the wood burner again.

(I am in any case thinking of getting a smaller log basket, as this particular one is very large and cumbersome and takes up too much room in the living room. I'll have to keep an eye out in the charity shops for one.)

The remainder of stuff to the front is now mostly gardening equipment and tools, which means I can now access it all.

Here's a picture of the shed after I'd finished for the day.

As you can see, some floor is actually now visible, which is a vast improvement and makes it a lot easier to actually get inside the shed.

There's still a way to go until it is back under control though, but the Flymo is no longer required, as we no longer have any grass to cut. We haven't actually yet decided what to do with it and may pass it on to a relative or neighbours, should they want it.

I'm thinking of hanging some of the garden tools from the shed walls, so they are more organised and easily accessible, but I need to think about how I'm going to do this.

In my next attempt at imposing some order, I will need to clear and sort through everything on the table top, which will mean pulling everything out again to get access, but I decided to save that for another day.

The more stuff I pull out and re-organise, re-home, dispose of or donate, the easier it is getting and I'm pretty sure that I will have it back in use very soon, which is quite exciting.

It feels very satisfying to finally tackle this job, as I have put it off for so long and it was one of the main remaining areas of clutter on the property that needed addressing.

I think there are definitely still more items in there that I can eventually get rid of one way or another, so I'm looking forward to doing that and then reclaiming the space for future use.

I'll post again, when I finally finish the job and do a final reveal.


  1. I have a tall thin dustbin in my shed, sits in the corner and I put all my spades and long handled tools in keeps them neat.

    1. Sounds like just the thing I need. I'll have to look out for something similar.

  2. You did good.

    Kris has a bit of a dry socket so the dentist put a dressing in and gave him a prescription for Tylenol 3. He says it feels much better after the dressing was done.

    God bless.

    1. I'm pleased he's feeling better and glad he's not got an infection.