Wednesday 6 July 2016

Breaking the Book Buying Ban

I instigated a self-imposed book buying ban this year, mainly because I have over 40 books on my shelves that I haven't read yet, which was plenty to last for a couple of years, never mind this year. I wanted to concentrate on reading these first.

I've been pretty good so far, although I have picked up the odd book from the Little Free Libraries in my area, but I don't tend to count these, as I don't have to pay for them.  Nevertheless, truth be told, I have acquired a few more books over the past six months.

I have noticed that the majority of books on my shelves are fiction books, a few classics, but many are pretty light reads.  I think my tastes in books are changing again and I'm finding some of these books quite unappealing and a struggle to read.

In addition, I like to mix up what I read and include some non-fiction from time to time to break it up and vary things a bit more, and I'm currently decidedly short on this genre of book.

Today, whilst volunteering at the CS, in a quiet moment, I couldn't help but take a look at the non-fiction book shelves and within just a few minutes I had found four books that I wanted to buy.

I set them aside and then took a closer look at them to make sure I really wanted to buy them.  At this point I managed to discard two of them, but the remaining two did come home with me.

Here they are:




This book called No Logo by Naomi Klein, is one that I've wanted to read for a while.  I've heard it mentioned in other books I've read and was curious to read it myself.

It charts the history of marketing and suggests ways we can resist the multinational mindset that prevails today.

She also suggests ways of taking this idea further by conscientiously objecting to the power wielded by multinational corporations in our modern day society.

It sounds like a fascinating read, although it is over 450 pages long and the print is very small. I'll certainly give reading it a try though.



The second book I bought was this book called Looptail, by Bruce Poon Tip, a socially responsible entrepreneur, who created a company offering adventure travel in more than 100 countries.

What differentiates him from other entrepreneurs is his management approach.  His company doesn't have a CEO, nor an HR department and it is committed to generating good 'karma' for everyone that comes into contact with it.

His philosophy is that business is all about the cycle of the Looptail, giving back in life and in business, is what it is all about.

Both of these books sound totally riveting and fascinating to me, so how could I resist them?

I'll  post a review of them once I've read them, if I find them to be worth reading.


2 comments:

  1. I've just entered a book swap in which I give one book away & receive 36 ! I've been reading a lot more recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised. That sounds like a good swap Penny!

      Delete