Friday 15 March 2013

Putting Things to Good Use

I like to make good use of things, which is probably why I find it incredibly hard to throw anything out, as I can always think of some way of potentially using it in the future.  I don't really want to become a serial hoarder though with stuff bursting out of every cupboard and drawer, but sometimes I do think I'm in danger of this.

When I sorted through the shed the other day I found a couple of things that I thought I could put to good use.  One was a basket rack to put on the front of my bike.  I remember the wire basket that attached to this, the handle of  which subsequently (don't ask me how) got stuck in the spokes of my bike and very nearly caused me to have a nasty accident.  Needless to say that got thrown away but I kept the frame that hangs over the handle bars for some reason. 

On rediscovering the frame I had a vague idea that I could create a lidded basket for the front of my bike, that would be an ideal size for my handbag.  The basket was in my workroom being used to keep a few bits and pieces in, but once I'd relocated them I attached it to the frame and I now have a basket on the front of my bike.  It is not exactly stylish or anything, but is great for when I want to use the bike without carrying panniers around with me or don't want to ride with my bag swinging about over my shoulder.  It will also be useful as it will make more room in the panniers should I venture to do the shopping on my bike.





A second cycling item I found in the shed was a mud guard for the back of the bike, to prevent mud getting sprayed up your back when you are riding around in wet weather.  (Not that I do that much cycling in wet weather but I may do at some point in the future especially if I've got a mudguard fitted!).  I'm hoping it will just fit beneath my pannier rack and if it does I may as well make use of it, otherwise it is going to the charity shop.

There was also an old tool box in the shed that my other half wanted to throw out.  'No' I said 'don't throw it out.  I will find a use for it.' and sure enough I have.  I gave it a lick of paint and have now filled it with my seeds ready for sowing, which were previously divided between two or three containers.  Now they're all housed in one creating a lot less clutter.  No wonder my partner affectionately calls me 'Mrs Receptacle' as I like to have a receptacle for everything.



I also found this old Habitat Oak bathroom cabinet with a crack in the mirror where it attached to the cabinet.  My partner removed the mirror and fixings and I am now using it as a shelf in my workroom, to house some more Hornsea collectibles.  I'm hoping to get it fixed to the wall at some point so there is less chance of  it getting knocked over and damaging the pottery.



Do you like to find new uses for things?

2 comments:

  1. The bike basket looks great especially having a lid. What a good sort out you had & given new life to some old things. I like your seed box !

    Yes I enjoy looking for new ways to use things. I have flower pots to keep the loo brushes in & brought ones with wooden handles so they look quite rustic.
    I used some empty lemonade bottles with ceramic stoppers to decant loo blue cleaner. So both look better together than plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the ideas of your loo brush holder and decanting the loo cleaner. Looks a lot more appealing I imagine. I save all those lemonade bottles with stoppers too. I use one to keep cold water in the fridge for diluting drinks, saves waiting for the tap to run cold.

    ReplyDelete