Friday 8 March 2013

An Evening Vintage Market

The other evening, I had the unusual pleasure of attending an Evening Vintage Market which was being held in some community rooms not far from where I live.  It was interesting.  There were approximately 20 or so vintage stalls at the event, selling all manor of vintage paraphenalia from clothes, jewellery, bags, etc  to books, fabric, furniture, lighting, bric a brac, etc.  A dream for someone like me who is a bit of a magpie.

I took a limited amount of money with me (£10 approx.) as I'd had an expensive day, due to a trip to the hairdressers, and this helped to prevent me going too mad or buying too many things, but I was happy to spend it all, as it was a new event and it is good to support new initiatives in your local area, in however small a way.  It was pretty exciting, not knowing what I was going to find there and what might tempt me.

I had a look around whilst my daughter was having her weekly swimming lesson at our local baths just around the corner, so I was limited timewise which was probably a good thing really, as I might have been tempted to spend more had I not been, especially as some of the stallholders took card payments.

In the end I bought only 3 things with my £10.  The first was a lovely scarf for £3, followed by a striped hat pin (which I intend to wear it as a brooch on my lapel) for £5 and a striped tie (don't ask me why - a bit of an impulse buy) for £2.




There were a couple of other things I saw which if I'd had more money with me I would have been sorely tempted to buy, but maybe they'll still be there for the next market.

In addition to the stalls, there was also a swishing event going on where you could bring some of your unwanted clothes and swap them for some equivalent clothes brought in by other people.  It's quite a good idea providing you actually find things you want to take away with you that fit.  I definitely might consider taking part in the next one, as I do have a few things that I would like to swap if I can.

They are holding another of these events in a month's time so I may return and actually take part in the swishing event as well as having a look around the stalls, funds allowing of course.  Fortunately, they seem to take place at the beginning of the month when it is more likely that I and others have some money in the bank, which is quite well thought out on the part of the organisers.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous hatpin - I've been thinking of collecting them. I like the idea of the clothes swap & have heard of events but not been.

    ReplyDelete