Wednesday 6 March 2013

A Trip to the Shopping Centre and a Cheaper Haircut

As I was long overdue a haircut and colour (I'd not had it done for a whole 8 months) and was desperate to get something done to it, this week I had a trip to our local Westfield shopping centre and more particularly to Supercuts, for highlights and a cut and blowdry.  It was the first time I had been there for myself, as I normally go to a salon which is a 30 mile round trip away and usually costs in the region of £150 each time. 

Now I know this is a lot of money, but I usually only get it done twice per year, once before the summer holidays and once before Christmas.  This trip to the hairdressers was a belated pre-Christmas visit and as I am trying hard to save money this year and pay off credit cards, I thought I'd better make an effort to cut the cost of my hair care, hence a change in salon to Supercuts. 

If you've never been to Supercuts before, they are quite good value.  You can't actually book an appointment though, and just have to turn up and wait in line for whoever is the next hairdresser available.  I got there at about 10.30 ish and went more or less straight to the salon.  It wasn't too busy, just one person waiting before me, and I was told it should be no longer than 30 minutes wait, so I settled down to look in a couple of hair magazines for suitable styles.  Before I knew it I was being called to a chair.

The young lady who attended to me was very nice and quickly got on with putting my hair in foils, which did take a long time as she was particularly careful to put lots of them in.  She then left me to read for a while whilst the bleach did it's work, put in a toner and washed and treated my hair and cut and styled it beautifully.

I was very happy with the result, the cut was great and the colour was good.  It is always a shock when it hasn't been done for a good while but soon settles down in a day or two.  I felt human again and what's more I looked human again and not a poor relation of Worzel Gummidge.  The best bit, however, was the price, which was half what I would normally pay.  The young lady gave me her name for future visits, and I left a very happy woman.  I would post a picture but I am very camera shy - well that's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it.

Buoyed by my money-saving haircut, I made the error of 'popping' into Primark on my way back to the car.  Big mistake.  I spent £31 on 4 tops and a snood for myself and a pair of jeans and some underwear for my daughter.  The only good thing about this was that the tops were short sleeved and as such can be added to my new Spring/Summer wardrobe making me feel somewhat more justified in their purchase.  When I got home and tried them on I really liked them all, so I might even venture back and get them in different colours.  (When I find something I like I often get more than one colour to wear with different outfits, especially when they are only £4 or £5 each.   I also really try to make them last, often wearing them for 3 years or more if they don't wear out first.)

I also spent some money on make-up on this visit, namely £5 or so on a Kate Moss for Rimmel lipstick to replace the 3 I bought on my last visit to the mall for 99p each, and proving that there is truth in the saying 'Buy cheap, buy twice'.  The other make-up I bought were my usual essential blemish sticks which were on offer 'buy one get one half price' so I bought four which should keep me going for a while.

I made only one other purchase which I can't say too much about here, in case my daughter reads this post, as it was a Christmas present for her, which was on offer and I just could not resist it as I'd had it in my mind to buy her this item at some point.  To those of you who are now thinking that it is a bit early for Christmas presents, yes, I am one of those people who start their shopping in the January sales and continue throughout the year.  Mainly to spread the cost, might I add.  I know that she will really like this present, so was happy to spend money on it when it is on sale at a good price.

Finally, the only down side to spending so long in the hairdresser's, was that I actually had to pay £5 for parking which is totally against everything I believe in. I did toy with the idea of going on the bus which would have cost £2.30 less but in view of the convenience and time saved by going in the car, the fact that I was getting my hair done close to home making savings on both petrol and my hair, I decided that this could be forgiven on this one occasion but I certainly won't be making a habit of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment