Friday 22 April 2016

Homemade Granola

Yesterday, when I got back from the gym, I decided that I would try and make some home made granola for OH. Why, you ask? Well, next door to the gym, is a really good little grocery store that I often pop into, as they sell the most divine avocado and humous dip that I just can't resist.

This week, we needed some toilet rolls, so I popped in and got them, plus the dip I love and I always stop to look at the huge bags of chia seeds, dried cranberries and blueberries, dates, cacao powder, etc. etc. that they also sell.  I have a long list of things that I want to buy from there next month to stock up.

By way of excusing my future haul, (which I'll post when I finally do it) I got to thinking about what I could use all of the ingredients for and decided that instead of buying OH granola ready made from the supermarket, which he often complains is too sweet, that I would start to make it myself.

I already had plenty of ingredients in the cupboard at home, so I set to and started straight away.



I'd seen videos on YouTube before, which showed you how to bake granola in the oven, but when I got in I found a recipe which was so quick and easy and was done by a stove top method, roasting the ingredients in a large frying pan using coconut oil.  I tried it out as it looked so easy and only takes 5 or 10 minutes to roast off the dried ingredients, which I added melted butter and agave syrup to.



Here's what it looked like after I'd pan roasted it and was waiting for it to cool down so I could add the dried fruit.



Here's what it looked like after the fruit was added. (I probably added a few too many sultanas, but never mind).  I just need to find a jar to keep it in now.

This recipe included the following ingredients all of which I already had:

3 cups of Oats
2 tbsp Wheatbran
2 tbsp Flaxseed mix
1tsp Cinnamon
80 ml Agave syrup
1 tbsp Coconut oil
2 tbsp Melted butter
1 tbsp Chia seeds
1/4 cup chopped Walnuts
1/4 cup Pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup Sultanas
6 Dates chopped up small

Hopefully it should keep OH going for a while.  It's also good as a snack to take around in a small container in your handbag.

I'm looking forward to adding to my store cupboard so that I can vary this  recipe every time I make it.

6 comments:

  1. This is the kind of thing we're doing at the moment, just looking at things we buy, or would like to buy but it's too expensive, and recreating it ourselves.

    We don't tend to eat granola, but I'd be tempted to make some myself as I could get the toasted flavour without it being too sweet. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was my thinking. It doesn't really clump together so much, as bought granola does, but I can live with that.

      Delete
  2. Oh yum. It looks absolutely Delicious.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie, it is quite tasty. Very nice with yoghurt.

      Delete
  3. I love home made granola, and you can make it different every time x

    ReplyDelete