Thursday 28 January 2016

Freedom

After a whole month of procrastination, and with 4 days left to go until the final submission date, I finally completed my tax return yesterday and submitted it.  I'd holed myself up for the last two days, determined to get it done, before any last minute rush crashes the system.

It's late for me this year, but I just couldn't work up any enthusiasm for it.  I kept receiving reminders from the HMRC by email, as it got nearer the date, which finally made me knuckle down.

To try to prevent repeating the same scenario next year, I have already worked out my return for next year, bar the two months or so that are left of this financial year.  I'll just have to update the figures once April comes around and I'll be ready to submit it.  It's a great relief to know that I've already done most of the work for next year's return and won't have it hanging over me like it has this January.

Once I get into the flow, I really enjoy messing about with figures, putting my paperwork in order and organising everything.  I do love the feeling that comes with having everything in order, but clearing my mind and the table to get down to business just defeats me sometimes.

I haven't actually traded on eBay at all so far this year.  The lead in to Christmas was so intense and busy that I just needed to take a step back from it and get on with other things at home.  Once I've got on top of the housework later this week, I'll start thinking about setting up some new listings and get back to it.  I figure that if people are anything like me, they don't have much money to spend in January either, which was another reason for not trading.

I've promised myself to try to cut down any waste from my business and focus on trying to use more recyclable packaging this year. Going are the poly postal bags, once I've used what I have left, I won't be ordering anymore, and in come plain white paper envelopes. (The fabric will still be packed and protected in cello bags inside the envelope, just in case the parcels get wet!) I'm also cutting back on some other needless waste such as business cards, which really aren't necessary for my small business.

In addition, for the past couple of years I've been focussing on selling stock I already have instead of buying in new stock and I'm going to do the same this year.  I may buy some new stock, to keep things fresh, but I'm being very careful to buy only what I think will sell well and quickly.  That is the most difficult part of selling on line - buying right and at the right price - as it is a very competitive market place, as I've mentioned in the past.

Hopefully, by next week, I'll have found my work mojo again and will get back to business. In the meantime, I am going to enjoy the freedom of not having to think about my tax return again for another year and indulge in a bit of daydreaming about what I can now do with my time for the rest of the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment