Wednesday 10 July 2013

Ottoman Makeover Reveal

Last week, I posted about a Lloyd Loom ottoman I had purchased at our local Antiques/Vintage shop and which I was intending to give a makeover and use for storage of winter blankets in our bedroom.  Here's a picture of what it looked like when I bought it.



I wasn't sure whether the gold paintwork and fabric were the original or whether it had been refurbished before, but it was generally in very good condition and needed nothing but a coat of paint and recovering with a different fabric for it to fit perfectly into our bedroom scheme.

I painted it over the weekend inside and out with some paint I had left over from painting some other wicker furniture in our bedroom.  It took a couple of coats for the wicker, on the outside at least, but I only gave it just one coat on the inside, as I had very little paint left.

After painting it and then acquiring a new staple gun from B&Q (£5.98), as I had jammed my previous one by using the wrong sized replacement staples, I was ready to cover it with a new fabric.  The fabric I chose was one I purchased on eBay in Australia whilst visiting my sister.  It is a vintage Sanderson linen interiors fabric with a floral print which I think dates from the 1950's or possibly a little later.  It has shades of grey and blue in it to match our bedroom décor and I absolutely love it. 

Once on, the fabric looked perfect and added a much needed feminine touch to the room. The ottoman isn't quite finished, as I still need to glue some grey braid around the edge of the lid to hide the staples, but it might take another 3 months for me to get around to it so I thought I'd post a reveal now.  So here it is.

 
 
 



It has pride of place at the end of the bed and contains all our lovely woolly winter blankets ready to throw over us when the weather gets colder.  (Hopefully not for a while yet!)   Believe me when I say it looks far better than what was there before and nicely matches the woven wicker box I use as a bedside table. 



Just a couple more storage solutions to find for the bedroom and it will be much more organised, decluttered and frankly a much more serene place to retire to of an evening.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Penny. By the way, I am using the toner and it feels and smells lovely. I will use the cleansing milk but haven't used one for years since I used to use Anne French (I think that was what it was called) in my teens so it's just a case of getting back into the habit of it. Thanks again.

      Delete