Saturday 6 July 2013

Friday Clean Up and the Little Bird Returns

I'm posting twice today which is a bit unusual for me but following on from the earlier post about Thursday where I talked about having splashed out on a few things for our home, and in time for our Little Bird returning in the evening, on Friday I decided to spend the day doing some cleaning around the house.  It was starting to look a bit of a mess upstairs and was annoying me so I set to and cleaned the bathroom, put new sheets on Little Bird's bed and hoovered around her room ready for her return.  I then hoovered the stairs and other bedrooms, cleaning as I went.  Our bedroom was particularly bad, I felt quite ashamed at the amount of dirt in there.   I even cleaned places that I don't routinely like the top of door jambs and behind book cases. (Slummy Mummy!)  It felt good to get it done though.  Now I just need to tackle the downstairs. 

I also started painting the ottoman.  Not quite finished it yet though, still the inside to do.  I'm hoping I have enough paint.  It took a couple of coats and even then flecks of gold could still be seen.  If anyone out there has ever painted one of these woven pieces of furniture, you will know that it can take quite a few coats.  Two is enough for me, it's good enough.  I will probably continue over the weekend.

Puppy was pretty ill for most of the day on Friday.  She wasn't eating and drinking and was very lethargic.  Not herself at all.  A bit later she started to perk up and at least have a drink and a small bite to eat.  I think she may have swallowed something she shouldn't have because by the end of the day she was almost back to normal, barking mad.

It's been a strange week without our daughter (I'm going to call her Little Bird from now on now she has flown the nest for a week) here with us.  The house has seemed very quiet. We had a few nights out at the cinema and the Jazz club, but we didn't want to go out every night.  We received daily texts from the school telling us what activities they were doing each day and that they were all okay which was reassuring.  The last few have said that they are very tired!  

Anyway, she was due home Friday teatime.  We were there to meet her off the bus.  I made the effort to thank the bus driver for bringing them all safely back and the teachers who have had to look after them 24/7.  The headmaster said that the school had some beer for them to help them recuperate which was nice.  They had had a great time.  Little bird looked different somehow, older and wiser perhaps, but lovely all the same.  It's great to have her home.  Her return coincided with the puppy feeling a lot better so normal life can now resume.

I had to laugh, when she got off the bus and we were walking home she told me that all her dirty clothes were in her suitcase and she had put any clean clothes she had left in her rucksack, so my washing was already sorted.  I do this whenever we go away and she has obviously taken note.  Sweet! 

2 comments:

  1. aah that's sweet to call her little Bird. My little bird lefty a weepy message while we were out.
    We spoke later. She's tired out & the kids are treating her like a servant. I gave her a pep talk & reassurance.

    Love your Lloyd Loom blanket box & looking forward to see it transformed !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Jess. I hope she's feeling a better soon. I'm sure a chat with mum did the job. When does she come home or finish at camp?

    ReplyDelete