Tuesday 9 July 2013

Charity Shop Tales 9

Whilst looking for some fabric a couple of weeks ago to finish a patchwork project, I popped into a couple of charity shops for a quick look around.  In the first one I found this, which is just perfect for the holiday we are planning later this year.  (More in another post).  At only £1 it was a bargain that I just could not ignore.  Although it is from 2008 I'm hoping that in the intervening five years the whole of the US road infrastructure hasn't completely changed, and it will be of some use. 



In the second shop I was tempted by these leather brogue type shoes which although a bit old fashioned in style could be good for a 'granny chic' look next autumn.   At £3.95 and virtually unworn I thought they were definitely worth a gamble.  I am starting to think that I might look a little too much the part, however. 



I also bought this Fragonard makeup bag which looks brand new for just 25p



and this really cute 'ROCK' brooch for 95p. 




The girl in the shop said I'd done her a great favour by buying the brooch, as it was in a glass case on the counter by the till and had been calling to her all day and she said she'd have probably bought it herself if I hadn't. I'm pleased that I'm useful for something.  My daughter eyed it up too when she got home from school and offered to take it off my hands.  Fat chance, I like to grow old disgracefully, she should know that by now.

5 comments:

  1. Great finds especially the cute bag & brooch.
    The manageress at our charity shop says that to customers all the time !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would probably be constantly buying things if I worked in a charity shop which is why I haven't volunteered thus far. I suppose it might work the other way too though and curb my habit.

      Delete
  2. Great buys. Loving the shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm hoping I actually dare wear them when it comes to it.

      Delete
  3. Oh the good stuff you find on charity shops. Why don’t you volunteer? Wouldn’t it be okay to constantly buy things they sell if you start working for them? Plus you'll have choice picks before they even hit the sales. That, and you’re actually giving back to the community by patronizing these items. ~Alison

    ReplyDelete