Sunday 7 July 2013

Allotment Corner

Its getting to be a habit visiting the allotment on a Saturday of late, which is unusual for me as I usually like to go during the week.  Things have been a little busier lately and I don't seem to have managed to find the time.

Anyway, this Saturday I headed off to the allotment early, for about 10 am.  I only had just over an hour to spend there as I was booked into a Zumba class at 11.45 am and had to get back and change my shoes and get over to the leisure centre.  It was a bit of a rush.  I took the last of some tomato and cucumber plants I had, to put in wherever I could find a space.

I started off by harvesting some more potatoes to make a bit of room for the plants.  The potatoes are getting a lot bigger which is good.  I dug up two potato plants, as we still had some left from last week, which just left enough space to put in the two cucumber plants and a tomato plant.


 I then harvested whatever strawberries, rhubarb, garlic, spinach, broad beans and lettuce were ready before  planting out the last two tomato plants and watering and feeding as much of the plot as I had time to do.


There are still a few broad bean plants to cut down which I will do on my next visit.  I always leave the bean roots in the ground for a while as they are nitrogen fixers and add nutrients to the soil.  There are just two lettuces left to harvest next week so I sowed some more lettuce seeds to follow on.

This week's harvest looked like this



 
Not a huge amount but it will keep us going for a week.

When I got home my monthly Growing It magazine was on the doorstep with yet another 5 packs of free seeds.  This time Autumn salads.
 
This month's issue contained Pak Choi (Colour Mix) 70 seeds, Mustard (Oriental Mix) 600 seeds, Radish (Cherry Belle) 200 seeds, Salad Leaves (Bright and Spicy) 175 seeds and Turnip (Milan Purple Top) 300 seeds.  An interesting selection that I will look forward to planting.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Spending time on your allotment & attending Zumba classes seem so far away from each other but both great things to do !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, it wasn't really a good combination as I was sweaty rushing around in the heat before getting sweatier still at the Zumba class. I might try to avoid doing the two in one morning in future. Besides which I was good for nothing all afternoon.

    ReplyDelete