Thursday 5 January 2023

Time For A Bit of Contemplation

Towards the end of this week, life finally returned to some kind of normality, which is very much appreciated. I didn't get much time to stop and think over the New Year and to contemplate the year ahead and what I want to focus on or achieve in 2023.

I don't usually set myself any resolutions, but I do like to think about the direction I want to take in life and this coming year I'm all about embracing the new. New challenges, new routines, new people, new places, new adventures.

I don't have any high expectations of myself or others, I just like to try to do a good job and enjoy whatever I'm doing, continue to save towards the future and relish the present moment, doing things that I enjoy with the people I love. Simple pleasures, such as eating out occasionally, sewing, walking the dog, reading (when I can get my reading mojo back), journaling, gardening and keeping in touch with friends and family online and offline. Isn't that what life is all about?

I'm happy to avoid other peoples' drama and negativity and focus on positive things and those things that I am grateful for. Where there are problems, I want to to focus on doing my best to find solutions and if I can't resolve things, then maybe changes will be needed.

I've got a few more health appointments to arrange and attend at the beginning of this year, but then I should be up to date on everything and can hopefully focus on trying to maintain my health as much as possible and get back to classes at the gym.

I think that I've finally learned the importance of looking after myself, although I can't promise that there won't be times when circumstances dictate that this isn't the priority. Life has a way of scooping you up into a bit of a whirlwind at times, making it hard to prioritise your own needs.

In terms of frugality and my finances, I want to focus on reducing my spending this year and only buy things that are essential. We already have so much and need very little. I'd like to spend time working on my home and garden, appreciating and looking after what we have, rather than seeking more. Maybe even shedding some stuff that we don't really need and passing it on to others who may need it more. I would like to spend more time this year on the upkeep of the house and keeping on top of jobs such as cleaning, ironing, etc.

OH has done quite a lot of work on the outside of the house this year, re-painting the front of the house and re-laying some decking in the garden. There will hopefully be more work done this year, including the painting of the back of the house and hopefully the replacement of another section of decking. By doing the work himself, he does save us a lot of money. It will depend on how busy he is with work and cycling, but hopefully some progress can be made and I will help where I can, of course. I

I'd like to continue volunteering and trying to help others in whatever small way that I can contribute. I think it's important to think and act outside of myself and my own self interest. Besides, I get a lot from it too. I get to meet new people and be reminded that I'm part of a community and that I am making a contribution to it.

I hope you've had time to contemplate this New Year and think about what you'd like it to bring you and I hope it brings you everything you wish for.

4 comments:

  1. I love your 3rd paragraph, it's the meaning of a happy life, so many people complicate their lives. I find doing more craft kept me away from the shops, these days my whole mindset is nope I don't want it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your plans for the year - I am with you on the not spending and looking after the things we already have. Everytime I make some space I seem to accumulate a lot of other people's stuff to store or keep. Both my daughters have small houses and too much stuff and we end up with a lot of their overflow here! Hopefully one daughter is looking to move to a larger house soon and I can't wait to pass back some of her things - it will feel like I have had a mammoth declutter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great plans for the year. I am with you on the looking after what we already have and not purchase more "stuff". I want to enjoy the garden more this year and am planning projects to keep me outside.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your plans are very sensible and inspire me- I think I should think and do very similarly in all the respects you have written about!x

    ReplyDelete