Tuesday 3 January 2023

10 Years Blogging

I thought I would just do a quick post today, as it is 10 years today that I started this blog. It is hard to believe that it's been that long. So much has changed in that time. 

I'm still essentially blogging about living a frugal, simple life, but I would say that I'm genuinely better at actually living it these days.

LB has now all but grown up and is following her own path as a young adult. I'm hoping she's learned some things from me about living frugally, but I'm not sure that she always puts it into practice.

I've ventured back into the world of work in recent years, with mixed experiences, but the journey has been interesting. The new job is going okay and I'm still learning and gradually feeling more confident and more comfortable in my new work environment.

Our dog, who joined our family shortly after I started blogging, is now quite mature and is slowing down every day. She more or less only needs one good walk a day now. She is a lovely companion and I enjoy our walks. We don't like to leave her these days though, so it has affected our ability to go abroad on holiday like we used to. I'm sure we'll get back to travelling more eventually.

We're still growing vegetables on our allotment, although we have a much smaller plot now and OH does a lot more of the work. We also only grow things that we eat regularly, which has not always been the case. Having a smaller plot means working it more efficiently, which is something we try to do to reduce waste and avoid gluts.

I still try to live frugally, be resourceful and try not to waste money. I enjoy the challenge of it and I probably always will. I try not to buy things I don't need, so I actively avoid going to the shops these days to avoid any kind of temptaton and I don't find this particularly difficult.

I save money where I can and put money aside for the future, instead of spending any money that comes my way.  This in particular has been quite life changing, as I have finally learned to live within my means and not incurr any debt. It feels a much better place to be. If I don't have the money for something, I don't buy it, simple as.

I spend more time sewing now, than I've probably ever done, mainly English paper piecing, although I do make other things too. I have a much healthier attitude towards using up my stash of fabrics and instead of hoarding it away for who knows what, I try to put it to use as much as possible, enjoying using the things I make with it in my every day life. It should be enjoyed and not stashed away in boxes unused.

I am much more of a home bod these days, preferring my own company and the company of my family. I enjoy spending quiet time at home. I used to find this hard to tolerate 10 years ago when I didn't go out to work, but going out to work makes me appreciate the time I have at home.  I think I'm generally much more comfortable in my own skin these days. This may make me seem boring to some, but I have a vivid inner life and I am always seeking out new things, so I don't really care too much about what others think, their opinions of me are not my problem.

Rather than wanting to acquire more stuff, these days I prefer to let go of stuff, either by selling it or donating it. I'd like to let go of more this year, but it will take a little time for me to do this. I'm intending to continue to sell some things I no longer want to keep online, and I will get around to doing this once life gets back to normal.

Having visitors this New Year, has made me realise how much stuff I still hoard and how it would be nice to free up more space in my sewing room. I'm going to join in with Karen's month of decluttering on Just Get It Done Quilts on YouTube, to try to get to grips with the space.

I don't have any plans for the next 10 years of blogging, I hope I continue to blog and keep in touch with the blogging friends I've made over the past 10 years, as I enjoy following your lives and keeping up with your news.

Thank you to those of you who continue to follow, comment and offer support on this blog and who make my blog a positive place to post. I really appreciate you all.




9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on 10 years, I love blogging, and looking back on my post, I have made 10 year books, which I love, here's to your next 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marlene. Your year books are a great idea.

      Delete
  2. The good thing about blogging is that you can read about yourself and look back and notice the changes. My blogging anniversary is tomorrow - maybe I will do a reflection post of my last 11 years as I found your post today quite interesting. I am not sure how long I have been reading your blog but it is a long time and I always enjoy reading about your daily life and picking up ideas - and you make such lovely things - so thank you for taking the time to write and long may your blog continue.
    Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such a sweet comment. I look forward to reading a post about your reflections on your past 11 years blogging. I love reading your blogs too and your makes are always beautiful and so well done.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on 10 years blogging - and living a frugal life - an accomplishment many cannot stick to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debby, for dropping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on 10 years, you sound so contented and happy in yourself. Living a frugal life and simplifying mine has helped me so much and I am glad it has helped you as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie, I do enjoy keeping things simple. Life is complicated enough.

      Delete
  5. Many, many congratulations on 10 years of blogging! I am so happy you are one of my blogging pals and I really enjoy your posts!x

    ReplyDelete