Sunday 15 January 2023

This Week - W/E 14th January 2023

I woke up on Sunday morning grateful for a day off and the start of a new week. Work had just not let up all last week and culminated in a horrible shift on Saturday. 

I had a nice walk with the dog this morning. It was good to get outside and get some fresh air to help blow the cobwebs away.

In the afternoon, I spent some time working on the EPP patchwork quilt I'm making for LB's room. I put it away whilst she was home, as I want it to be a surprise, so once she had gone back to University, I could get it out again and carry on with it. I've missed sewing this festive season. It was good to get back to some.

It was the work Xmas night out on Sunday night, but I declined the invitation as it was a 30 mile or more round trip for me which was a bit too far - maybe next year.

Monday, I was back at work at 11am. I was able to get up in a leisurely manner as OH took the dog out, so I could take my time having breakfast and write a shopping list for the bits we needed. I also had time to do the shopping before I went into work which was good. There weren't any fridge or freezer items to buy this week, as I'd shopped on Friday.

It was very busy at work again and I ended up staying an extra hour. I figured it might be useful to earn a little more this month, as I will be taxed after getting my tax rebate for the year, so anything I can do to boost the new lower pay packet is helpful.

On Wednesday, I wasn't at work until 5pm, so I had a lie in, then got showered and took the dog out on a long walk in the morning. It was windy, which felt nice on my face. 

When I got back from the dog walk, I finally paid the parking fine I got last week and then I headed to ASDA to get a few bits of shopping. I ended up spending over £50, which was scary. I did spend £10 on a new bobble hat for dog walks, as I lent mine out and didn't get it back. I needed one though, especially if we get some colder weather again next week.

Work was quiet for the first time in weeks. It was great. I spent most of the evening reducing the prices on Xmas fabrics and craft kits. I'm afraid I couldn't help but buy some of the fabric. They were very inexpensive though and worked out at about £1.50 per meter, which for 100% cotton is a very good price and I couldn't resist it.

On Thursday, I was up early and back volunteering. I hadn't been for a couple of weeks due to having visitors and then due to taking LB back to University. To be honest, I was so busy all over Xmas and New Year, I'm afraid something had to give and it was the volunteering on this occasion. Anyway, we got quite a lot of work done and it was good be back and to get on the bike and cycle somewhere, despite the rain.

In the afternoon, I chilled for a while working on some patchwork, then I caught up on a few bits of housework. I also went around the house and watered all of my houseplants, which were looking a bit worse for wear. It's lovely to be able to spend my days off relaxing and doing what I please again, not rushing around shopping or cleaning, etc. It makes such a difference.

On Friday, I was at work from 9am. The shift started off slowly, but got busier and busier as the morning went on. I was glad to leave at 4pm

Saturday, I was back at work again for 2pm. I had a leisurely morning getting ready and then headed off. Work was so busy again with queues of people waiting to be served all afternoon and evening. We seemed to be so short staffed on the tills that it was another awful shift and it made me seriously question why I'm doing this particular job. I stayed an extra hour to help clear up the store and was then super glad to go home and for another week to come to an end. 

I think I'm going to start looking around for something else, as it's not really working out quite as I'd hoped. I wanted to change jobs because work was taking over my life and I couldn't get a work life balance, and I'm finding myself in the exact same situation again, but with less pay and less benefits. I'll let you know how I get on.





2 comments:

  1. That was a great deal on the fabric. I doubt I could have passed it up either. I hope you find the exact right job for you. Keeping my fingers crossed.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Work and life balance is key to your health and wellbeing, I would have been ready to purchase fabrics reduced to 1.50 per meter.

    ReplyDelete