Sunday 22 January 2023

This Week - W/E 21st January 2023

This week got off to a good start on Sunday. I had a nice walk with the dog (save for ending up on my knees in mud!).

When I got back, we were going out to meet LB for lunch on the Southbank in London, as it had been her birthday during the previous week and we wanted to celebrate it together. I wrapped up a few small gifts I'd bought for her and we headed off to meet her at the National Theatre. OH drove in and parked in the NT car park and we all arrived at the same time.  We headed to a nearby Italian restaurant and had a lovely meal and a catch up.

We then took a walk along the Southbank and visited the second hand book stalls outside the British Film Institute and then Foyles book store next to the Royal Festival Hall. It was lovely to browse some lovely books, even though I'm not really reading much these days.  

OH treated me to a second hand book from one of the stalls. It was a favourite haunt of ours when we both moved to London 25+ years ago. It's good to see it is still up and running. I got a pretty hardback edition of Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre, my favourite Bronte book.

I also applied for a new job on Sunday. It is another job in Home Interiors, as I do quite like this area of retail, but I'm hoping it might suit me better, as it is slightly less hours per week. I probably won't even get an interview, but it was good to update my CV with my recent experience and flex my job hunting muscles again. I'll keep you posted.

Later, when I got home, I worked on some patchwork and caught up watching a bit of YouTube. My favourite Sunday activities. A busy day, but a pleasurable one, which was much appreciated after a busy week.

Monday was pretty unremarkable. I was at work for 1pm, but went early and did most of the weekly shop before work. Work was busy, but not crazy. This week is the last week of the sale, so it may slow down next week.

When I got home from work, I spent a couple of hours going through all my receipts for December and January and getting my finances in order. I'd not really kept up to date with it through December, as things got so busy.  It felt good to get it all sorted and it cleared the kitchen table.

On Tuesday, I got up and went out with the dog. It was really cold here, -1 degree centigrade, so I wrapped up well. I was due at the dentist in the afternoon, for what I hoped was my last appointment for a while, to see how the new crown had settled in.

The appointment went okay and I don't need to go again for 6 months which is a relief. Before going home, I decided to have a look around a few charity shops nearby. I bought a couple of things in the first shop - a brand new pair of jeans for £10 and a new Laura Ashley photo frame for £5. The other shops didn't have anything that really tempted me to spend any money, which is good. 

Sadly, just going into charity shops to shop these days, brings back uncomfortable memories of my previous job.  I think I can happily say I've now moved on. My current job isn't perfect, but it's okay for now. It's completely different and possibly transitional, but who knows. I don't look too far ahead these days, as I've learned that things don't always go the way you planned them.

When I got home, I was happy to spend the rest of the afternoon working on LB's quilt. It is truly my happy place at the moment and it doesn't involve spending any money either. I also rang and ordered a repeat prescription of my medications from the pharmacy as I'm running low. If I manage to achieve one or two things from my to do list each day off, I'm happy.

Later on Tuesday, we booked a couple of days away to visit family in Yorkshire next month. I got a day's leave confirmed at work, so we're heading up for two days. I've found it hard to book leave in this job as there's so many people wanting to take time off after Christmas and I couldn't actually get a week off until March. Anyway, a few days away will be nice and we're staying in a luxury apartment, which will be a treat. I can now actually look forward to it knowing that it's booked. 

On Wednesday, I was due at work for 4pm. As this coincides with many people leaving work heading out of London, there's often a lot of traffic, so I went early and decided to do some shopping as I needed a few things from Home Bargains. As always with that store, you go in wanting a handful of items and come out with two bags full and £30 less in your bank account. It just can't be helped.

Work went well and passed quite quickly. It seems to be calming down a little. I get paid this week, which is good. It really suits me to get paid every 4 weeks instead of every month, as 5 week months are long.

Thursday, I was up (reluctantly) and off to volunteer again. I'm always fine once I get going, it's just getting out of bed and the house I find difficult. It was super cold on the bike, my ears in particular were very cold. I needed a head band or something to keep them warm under my cycle helmet. The shift went okay. There were a few new people that I'd not met before, which always keeps things interesting. 

On the way home, I picked up my prescription from the pharmacy and then I spent the afternoon stitching. I made us a vegetarian morrocan style sausage and chickpea casserole for supper, which was very tasty. I'm still trying to use up things in the freezer. It's slow progress, but I'm getting there. There's still a lot of home grown vegetables to use up, so I need to try to make a few more stews while the weather is cold.

LB contacted us tonight to say that she is doing costume design at Uni at the moment and is really enjoying it. I arranged to send her a box of sewing notions to help her along. I'm pleased for her that she is getting excited about sewing and garment construction. I get so much satisfaction from it, maybe she will.

On Friday, I was due at work at 11.30am, which was later than usual, so I had plenty of time to get ready. I posted off the box of sewing items to LB before heading off work.

Work was steady, but towards the end of the day it got very busy. I found it difficult to get away and the last customer I served was complicated, so I ended up staying half an hour longer to resolve their issues, which was frustrating.

On Saturday, it was busier still for most of the day and I ended up staying two hours to help tidy up the shop. I didn't mind this so much as I should be paid for it.  It was good to get home on Saturday night and just chill with OH at the end of the working week.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on the job front. At least you will have the short break to look forward to - I just hope that Yorkshire warms up a bit for you by the time you visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I think it's forecast snow just before we go, so I'm hoping it won't make travelling difficult.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete