Thursday 26 January 2023

January Blues

I've been struggling a little this January. It's not my favourite month. I always enjoy the build up to Xmas and life afterwards always seems a little flat once the festive season is all over, although this year I was relieved to get back to normal, as I was so busy with work and visitors, I needed some down time. 

Once life returned to normal, however, I hit a bit of a brick wall. Having the bunny for a few days did help, as it brought a bit of light, activity and excitement, but once he'd gone to be rehomed, I felt really sad. I've really missed him, but he may have got depressed if we'd kept him on his own. He probably needs bunny friends and a household without a terrier in it. I really hope he finds it.

The last couple of weeks have been a bit monotonous. Work has kept me busy, and working on my current quilt, but life does seem a little like groundhog day at the moment and the weather is a bit grim. It could be a lot worse, I do realise. We have our health and nothing really to grumble about, so we are very lucky, but despite this, I still feel a little low and I think that I may be suffering a little from Seasonal Affective Disorder.

When life is like this, it's the small things that keep you going. Booking a couple of days away gave me a boost.  I'm currently thinking that I might treat myself to a nice new candle to light every day and help cheer myself up.

I'm sure there are other strategies that I could employ to make me feel better, like creating a vision board or making plans for the coming months. I may try some of these things to lift my mood and to give me something to look forward to. Maybe setting aside more time to get creative and do some other sewing projects or getting back to gym classes will help me to feel more motivated to do other things that I need to do too.

It doesn't help that the news is constantly very grim, prices are constantly going up and the view outside the kitchen window is of a very bare, wet garden, with few signs of new life. I know it won't be long before the signs of spring arrive, but I'll just have to keep on keeping on until life and the weather improves.  In the meantime, I will continue to try to be grateful for the present and the small things that bring joy.

How have you been feeling this January?

3 comments:

  1. I find that the end of January and most of February are bad times for me. I keep busy doing cleaning and projects, but sometimes that brick wall seems to come out of no where. Everything right now seems to be rinse and repeat.

    With the grim reminders of costs rising and our central bank here raising borrowing costs things are going to be tough.

    I, hope spring comes very soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that is common. I have to fight off the blues - by trying to keep busy. Where I live it is mild and sunny but it does come after a huge month of heavy rains. At least we all know, Spring is inevitable and it is something to look forward to. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's the normal feeling in January, it's a dull nothing month.

    ReplyDelete