Monday 16 January 2023

Stash Busting

This year, I very much feel in the mood to do a lot of stash busting with regard to my fabric collection. I have a whole room dedicated more or less to fabrics, linens and other sewing items and the time has come to really take stock and clear out what I no longer want to keep.

I did some clearing last year and managed to sell a few fabrics online, but this year I really need to knuckle down and sell, donate or use a lot more. I have boxes and drawers full and I'm never going to use it all in my lifetime.

I used some in the lead up to Xmas, making some table runners, a tree skirt and a wreath from Xmas fabric  and I also made a few gifts and things for me to use, using bits of other fabrics, but I've honestly hardly made a dent in it, so it's time for some serious stash busting.

The need for this, was brought home to me when we had visitors at New Year, as my fabric collection has really taken over the sewing room and is making it feel cluttered. We don't have guests too often, but when we do, it would be good to be able to thin the room out a little for them.

One project, that I'm currently working on is another English paper piecing quilt for LB, which is mainly using blue fabrics. I've changed my mind recently, about the fabrics I'm going to use for this and I'm sticking to blues and white/cream prints for the project, as when I add other colours in, it just looks too busy. I've got plenty of fabrics that meet this criteria and many should just about be used up on this project.

In my spare time, I currently like nothing more than scrolling through Pinterest to find other quilting projects that I can try next, even though this current one will take months to finish. The quilt patterns have to be simple, no curves or sharp points, as I find these too tricky, and I prefer projects using just one template, if I'm honest. I found a new one the other night that might be my next project.  We'll see.

In addition, I think I'll try to make some fabrics into tea towels to use in the kitchen. I'm always in need of new ones, as they get dirty and scruffy so quickly. I'll probably stick to dark colours for these though. I'll do the same to make some more table runners/tablecloths for the living room and kitchen, as I like to change these up from time to time.

I'd also like to make a paper pieced ironing board cover at some point and maybe some bowl covers for use in the fridge, instead of using foil. There's so many projects out there that I'd like to try, I just need the time and the motivation really.  For now though, I'll continue to plod on with my latest paper pieced quilt project. I've now found out that the style of this quilt is similar to a Courthouse Steps or Hampton Court quilt pattern, which is interesting.

I will keep you posted on progress, but I can't upload photos from my new phone at the moment, so until I've resolved this I'm afraid I can't post any pictures.

Have you got any craft goals for 2023?

3 comments:

  1. So many people are looking at their stash's and working through them, I recently gave a huge pile to a young village girl who has started a college course, she was over the moon. I could have listed some to sell, but too much hassle, seeing her face when she saw the fabrics was just brilliant. I am doing some fee style patchwork using my sewing machine, which I hope to post about later this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading about your new patchwork project when you post about it.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the club of using stashes up. I do know I will probably be adding a bit, but I hope to use more than I add.

    The quilt for LB sounds lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete