Sunday 19 January 2014

Project 52 - Project/Week 2 - Reversible Cushions for the Living Room

Following on from making my table runner for the living room last week, I decided to have a go at making some new matching reversible cushion covers this week.  I couldn't wait until next month for them, so I just got on and made them.  It took a couple of hours to make the two, and I used less than half a meter of the Botanical/Insect fabric again, with the Laura Ashley I already had and the navy skirt zips that I already had and had bought wholesale for pence.  I sewed the zips in first which is probably the trickiest bit, then sewed around the cushion cover before trimming up and turning out. 

As the zips were intended for skirts they were quite short and this does make putting in and taking out the inner cushion a little tricky and time consuming, but it is possible with care.  If I were making these without budget restrictions or for a gift I would definitely use a longer zip for the job, but I was pleased with the result.  I do like zipped cushions much better than the envelope openings  I have made previously.  Here's a picture of the finished cushions.

 
 
Project 2 completed and I've now got a spruced up new look in my living room for 2014.  As we are now at the end of week 3 in this year I am also posting Project/Week 3 in this challenge today.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely cushions, and they will tie in well with your runner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I still need to make a couple more, but I'm going to use a different fabric for one side and make a new runner to match so I have a spare runner when one is in the wash.

    ReplyDelete