Monday 27 January 2014

£100 Per Year Beauty Products Challenge - Month 7

Joining in with the challenge set by El from A Thrifty Mrs blog, I am attempting to spend no more than £100 in a year on beauty products and toiletries.  I have been aided in this challenge by a rather large unused stash of products, which I am slowly working my way through.  (I'll do an update of what is left in the stash in next month's post).

January has been a slightly more expensive month than it needed to be, mainly because of treating myself to some new nail varnishes in the post Christmas sales, but even so, I haven't gone too far over the budget of £8.33 as I have actually spent £10.86.  I'm pretty confident that I will be able to make up for this overspend in the next couple of months.

The current spend on this challenge now stands at £59.92/£100 with 5 months remaining.

This month's expenditure was on the following:

Shampoo - £1.89

Nail Varnishes x 5 - £3.50 (A set of 9 bought in the sales (half price) and 4 bottles removed to be used as advent gifts for Little Bird next Christmas)

Cotton Wool Pads (100) - 50p

Smart Price Hairspray - 37p - I must admit that this was not my best purchase on this challenge.  I bought this price range as it was this or spending over £2, as the normal range I use that costs around 70p, was out of stock in two stores I visited.  I wouldn't buy this again as I don't find it holds well at all and I am looking forward to it running out.

Toothpaste x 6 - £3.60 - I bought a supply of these from Approved Food to keep us going for a while.

Nail Varnish Remover Pads 2 x 25 - £1 - Useful for carrying in my handbag as I often do my nails on the go.

Boots Seventeen Blemish Stick - Free with Boots Points (Normally £3.99)


Total Expenditure - £10.86

Not a bad month, but as my school reports used to say.  Could do better.

5 comments:

  1. I've no idea how much we usually spend on toiletries so don't know if £100 would be a lot or a little for us. Reading your challenge has inspired me though to sort through everything we have and keep an eye on how much we spend. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go and see how far you get, even if you don't manage a full year. I have swapped to using soaps instead of shower gel, though as I had a huge stash and they seem to work out a cheaper option.

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of this challenge .. I'm not sure I could do it so cheaply though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not really found it too difficult but I don't really wear a lot of make up and a huge stash did help a lot.

      Delete