Saturday 4 January 2014

Back to Normal Eating/Exercising/Spending Thank Goodness

I don't know about you, but come January I am always so glad to get back to my normal eating patterns.  I have to admit that I do tend to overindulge over the festive period, no matter how hard I try not to.  I think it is partly the nature of the traditional foods we buy in over this period such as Christmas cake, pork pie, cheese, chocolates, crisps, etc., but also I have to admit to a bit of sheer gluttony on my part.

I paid for my sins this year as when I got on the scales on returning to London, I'd put on quite a few pounds which was devastating.  It does tend to come off again quite quickly, which is lucky and sure enough two days later and 3 lbs lighter I'm feeling like I'm getting some way towards normality again.

Just in case we've hidden the massive stack of chocolate we received out of view, so that we don't keep on overindulging and then when we feel like some chocolate we can get some out and treat ourselves.  Otherwise it sits on the side beckoning to us, like a mermaid to a sailor.  We still had lots of leftover food that I bought before Christmas and we are still working our way through that, but on Friday I headed out to buy some normal everyday foods and staples, as I just can't wait to get back to eating normally.

It was a big shop, apart from Christmas I haven't done such a big shop in ages.  I guess I've reverted to buying the month's meat/fish in one shop and then planning our menus from that.  I needed to do that this month as I'd got totally out of the habit of menu planning and didn't know where to start, so this way of shopping kick started me into creating this month's menu plan. I now have a fully stocked freezer and am ready to go.

I also threw in a few bits for birthdays, the house, etc. which is always a temptation when shopping in the big supermarkets.  I bought a new bale of towels and matching bathmat as they were in the sale and I find if I buy one set here and there then it spreads the use of the others so they all last longer.  It's a pretty colour.  Sort of pale aubergine, if you know what I mean. 




I also treated myself to a jazzy thermal mug for taking a cup of tea with me when I walk the dog.  It's for those mornings that I don't have time to drink one before setting out as I get a bit grumpy going out without having had one.  (It has happened quite a lot lately.)  At £2 it didn't exactly break the bank and I've been promising myself one for ages now.




Friday evening I started back at my first exercise class too, which was a relief, bearing in mind the weight gain.  I do miss it when I don't go for a couple of weeks, but it's good to have a complete break now and then to keep me motivated.   It's so much part of my life now that when I've not been for a couple of weeks, getting back to it is like coming home.  I've got several classes booked for next week and I am hoping once I've settled back into my weekly routine the extra lbs will disappear.  Fingers crossed.

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to getting back to a healthier routine next week !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also got myself a new thermal mug this week ready for the early morning return to work - need my strong coffees!! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you and yours. Good luck in the new job.

      Delete