Monday 20 January 2014

Head Start Sunday

This Sunday I managed to give myself a head start for the week, which always feels great.  Some Sundays come and go and nothing much seems to get done and I shamefacedly fail to prepare myself for the week ahead, resulting in complete chaos on a Monday morning.   On others, I get myself together so that I'm ready to fly out of the starting blocks of the new week and I'm hoping this is one of those.

I had to change my routine for today, as OH needed the car  and I had to get the bus to the gym this morning.  As a consequence, I decided to do my food shop yesterday, as the Lidl store I use is near the gym and I was attending my usual Sunday morning class.  It makes no difference really which day I do the shop, but I obviously don't want to hoist heavy bags of food on the bus, as there is a bit of a walk to catch it and when I get off it.  When I got home yesterday all the fruit and veg were washed ready to use, which is another job I usually do on a Monday.

We all spent the afternoon at home on Sunday and OH and I finally did some jobs we've been meaning to do for a while.  Probably the main one being clearing out his wardrobe after a moth infestation.  As the major part of the infestation was at his end, most of the few clothes of mine (none of them silk or cashmere, as I don't have any) that overspill into there were not damaged.  Even the mohair jumpers!  One mohair jacket did get moth eaten though, so that had to be thrown out and another wool coat was slightly nibbled, but I'm keeping that for now.  I had only paid a couple of pounds for the moth eaten jacket at a car boot sale and it did make me look a lot like a Christmas tree (it was bright green!), so I wasn't too heartbroken.

OH on the other hand lost a pretty expensive suit, a wool duffle coat (the main victim of the infestation), some leather biker gear (!) and a few other bits and pieces.  He wasn't particularly thrilled, but was philosophical and vowed to go out and replace them with clothes he actually liked wearing.  Needless to say, the wardrobe was disinfected and to ward off any lingering moths, I hung some cardboard luggage tags doused in lavender essential oil on some of the hangers whilst I await the delivery of a moth trap I ordered online.

With the moth emergency taken care of, I disappeared into my sewing room for a while to clear the bed in there, in readiness for it's move back into Little Bird's room and the return of the double bed moved out for her grandparents to use at Christmas.  I'm so looking forward to normality being restored in my sewing room, as the double bed also doubles up as a cutting table of sorts and I have lots of projects I want to get on with.

Whilst changing the bedding I decided to do another little job.  Little Bird's bedroom is probably the coldest in the house, as it has 3 exterior walls.  As a consequence, I always double up the duvets on her bed in the winter.  Recently, I decided to put both duvets into one cover as prior to this I was putting separate covers on each and creating more washing.  The only problem with this was that one or other of the duvets sometimes got rucked up making the duvet very lumpy and not warm enough.   I think, however, that I found a solution by sewing press studs onto each of the four corners of each duvet, so that I could join them together.  This incidentally also made it much easier to get the cover on in the first place.  A small adjustment, but one which I hope will make a big difference.

The beds were later switched and I could get my linen collection back under the double so that it does not clog up the space in my sewing room.  The Christmas boxes and bags have gone too, having now been returned to the loft and I'm starting to feel like the space is becoming my own again.  I felt truly ready to face the new week.  I rewarded myself with a glass of Baileys and indulged in watching the first episode in the new series of Mr Selfridge.

Why can't all Sundays be like that?

4 comments:

  1. Wow ! you have been busy ... I've been washing down mould after all this rain but... today was GLORIOIUS - winter sun x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely to get a sunny winter's day. We could do with a few more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have been a day for it, I had a very productive day on Sunday, still with some time to have a walk on the prom - along with everyone else in town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days you just have to knuckle down, but I always feel better for it when I do.

      Delete