Wednesday 15 January 2014

Christmas Lap Quilt Update

I know that this Christmas is only just over, but as I had my Christmas fabric scraps to hand I've been spending quite a bit of time getting to grips with my new hand quilting project, namely making a Christmas lap quilt  for next year.   I've started early as this is going to be a long haul project.
 
 I have an awful lot of Christmas fabric scraps and this is turning out to be the perfect project for them.  I've sewn together the first few diamond blocks now and it is beginning to come together slowly.  I need to remove the paper backing and basting from these blocks, but here's a very early look at how it is panning out.  Each block is made up of nine small diamond shapes.

 


I was really happy with the effect after having sewn some of the diamond blocks together.  I'm hoping as it gets bigger and more fabrics are introduced that I will continue to like it.  I've now cut out hundreds of small diamond shapes from the scraps and have managed work my way through the large carrier bag of scraps I had.  I'm now nursing a sore thumb, from so much use of the scissors.  Just the accompanying paper diamond shapes to cut out now.  Here's a picture of the fabric ones cut so far.  There should hopefully be enough to complete this project here.

 
Having sorted through the scraps and cut diamonds from any suitable sized ones, I now have just very tiny scraps left or larger scraps that could be used for slightly bigger projects so this has been a very useful exercise in sorting out some of my fabrics.
 
I'll post again when I've got a bit further on with this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment